• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gi stasis whos bunnys had it

mine had mucoid enteritis which led to gut stasis. It was very severe (and in my days of lesser bunny knowledge) and vet gave her less than 50% chance of pulling thru. A drip, antibiotics, stomach tube and three days later i had her home again!!! One very lucky bun!! (she's quite fiesty, maybe that helped??!!:shock:) She had a few little recurrent bouts shortly afterwards but nothing too serious and i noticed straight away. She's really well now.

Alvin had it beginning of april and was hospitalised...

3 other times hes been on hungerstrike but not to a complete standstill like he was in april :shock: (hes only a year old)

Katie had it at Christmas (blockage) and was in very serious condition. she pulled through but it took about 8 days before she started to eat. She is a feisty bun so I think it helped.

Nushka had it a few months back, I took her to the emergency vet, she had x-rays to rule out a blockage, pain relief and gut stimulants and I syringe fed her every 2-3 hours with recovery and fresh pineapple juice - she made a full recovery by morning :D

Inky has had it twice quite badly, the first time he had to be syringe fed every 3 hours through the night and I really thought I would lose him.

Smokey suffers with it about every 6-8 weeks, I think she has a genetic problem. The first few times she was really bad but now she generally comes through it within a couple hours with a bit of Infacol and watery Recovery Formula. However, if she doesn't improve within 2 hours, we go to the vets, as an emergency if needed.

Sylvie was poorly not so long ago and the vet told me it was Ileus,after searching on here I think it's the same thing.She had 2 lots of jabs,lots of tummy rubs and came inside so I could keep an eye on her and she was back to normal next day.Frightened the life out of me though.

out of my 7 rabbits, 3 seem to be prone to it-no idea why? apart from an 8 week old bunny that i had they all seem to recover after tlc and vet trips. and it always seems to happen at the most awkward times-seen me go in late to work or stay up most of the night to nurse them!
i think if you lose a bunny to stasis you always keep an eye out for signs and act immediatley as it is very unpleasant illness and i absolutely hate hearing the grinding teeth:cry:

Bobbin had it when he was approximately 7 months old. It was a day thing, I noticed something was wrong when I go tin from work at 5.30, we were at the vets by 6. He was given gut stimulant and pain killers, I took him home and syringed water for several hours and eventually he was tempted to eat (mushed pellets and organic baby food) by 10 and he was pooping by 12 :)

A short bout in comparison to many, but still very scary :shock:

I think it's common because a rabbit's system relies heavily on the gut functioning, and anything abnormal can stop this working correctly. They are such delicate creatures :(

Just gone through stasis with Lailey and came out the other side. I really worried she wouldn't make it but she is a determined bunny:love: She was in vet-hospital for six (miserable) days:cry:but she got better. I think the drip deffo helped. She's been home since Friday and is just about back to her normal, cheeky self. Just needs to put on some lost weight!! Her coats looking better today I noticed. Her poos are still oval shaped, not round but getting better. I luuuuurve bunny poo:lol: She doesn't like taking her meds but she does without too much fuss-she's a very good girl. Looking back I reckon it was caused by her constantly chomping on wallpaper, newspaper and my little girl's carpet under the bed which I didn't realise she was nibbling at:evil:(That's at me for not noticing) Add to that some groomed bunny fur and I suppose that's possibly what caused it. She has a good, healthy bunny diet as does my other bun Porridge-but he doesn't nibble paper and carpet like Lailey-and he never had it. Although I was really worried about the extra stress of them being in the vets with all that noise and poking about etc. They are both soooo happy to be home:love:

Juliaxx

Back