• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drugs/Meds vets prescribe for Gi stasis...

jessiebuns

Warren Scout
Been meaning to ask about different vets prescribing different drugs for stasis. For example my vet gave Lailey Metoclopramide syrup, Baytril, Flexicam, Zantac syrup and Fibreplex. Plus put her on a nine day dose of Panacur paste. Is this what other vets prescribe? Just interested.

Juliaxx

Last week my vet gave metaclopromide...baytril and rimadyl all by injection and gave me a sachet of selective science recovery to syringe feed

GI stasis is usually a symptom of another primary problem so medication would depend on the cause of the stasis. Usually pain relief is essential. A gut motility stimulant ( eg Metaclopromide) is often prescribed once the Vet is confident that there is no GI obstruction
An anti ulcer med ( eg Zantac ) is very useful as a Buns GI tract is very prone to ulceration if the Bun is anorexic.
My Vet would not prescibe an antibiotic ( eg Baytril) unless there was obviously a bacterial infection. Antibiotics can exacerbate a GI problem.
Probiotics ( Fibreplex, Bio-Lapis, Avipro ) may be useful.

When treating GI stasis one of the most important things, apart from pain relief is fluid therapy. Once a Bun is in stasis they absorb fluid from their gut contents. This leads to the ingesta in the guts forming hard, dehydrated masses which cannot move as the guts are not working. Giving subcutaneous fluids prevents absorption of fluids from the gut contents which is of great benefit to the Bun.

Buns in stasis are often hypothermic. So prevent them going into shock a source of additional heat is essential, eg a Snugglesafe or a heatlamp.

Janex

currently using a probiotic power mixed in the water, with only hay diet with a few fresh herbs mint and parsley for biggles had had a pain killer jab and and an injection cant remember the name of what she put in but it was to stimulate the gut,also an antibiotic jab as well, hes doing really well, linus is on fibreplex at the moment along with a food mix for me to syringe, every couple of hours, hes had no jabs may have to go back tomorrow if i have no improvement

Vets will usually give/ should give pain relief (metacam can be detrimental if the bunny is dehydrated as it can have an adverse effect on the kidneys. If this is suspected, another form of pain relief should be used until the rabbit is rehydrated, or it can be given once the rabbit is on a drip). Gut stimulant should be given(often metoclopramide or zantac, although it is said that zantac is more effective for a bunny. However, they both only work on the foregut and not the hindgut so specifically). many rabbits with gut hypomotility will suffer with stomach ulcers so the zantac helps with that. Antepsin can also be useful to work along side zantac to treat/prevent a stomach ulcer. Gut stimulants should only be given once the vet has established there is no blockage in the guts. Xrays would be needed to confirm this.
Antibiotics are often given by vets to cover the rabbit for a bacterial infection. Although this can be detrimental to a bunny, it can sometimes be more detrimental to not give them. Rabbits that go into stasis can then go on to suffer with/die from enterotoxaemia (this is where the bad bacteria in the guts are multiplying and the toxins they release are absorbed into the blood and will eventually kill a bunny if antibiotics are not given or not given soon enough)
Pro-biotics are often given to help restore the gut's natural flora. There is debate as to whether these are actually useful because rabbit's stomach is highly acidic and therefore potentially kill the freeze dried goodness in probiotics. However, it certainly does not hurt to give them and i always give them to my bunnies if they've been ill at all.
Severe cases also need to be put on a drip. Any rabbit that has not eaten/drank for 48 hours should be put on a drip, regardless of how well it looks. Once the body gets dehydrated it takes fluid from the guts and so slows the guts even more. Many rabbit will be much better after 24 hours on intravenous fluid therapy.
Rabbits should also be syringed fed 10mls at least 5 times a day to help promote gut motility.
In very severe cases of bloat, the rabbit may need to be stomach tubed to release the gas and therefore allow the guts to resume working again. Stomach tubing will also almost immediately alleviate pain in the rabbit.
No amount of drug use will get the guts working again once they've stopped. If they've stopped completely then there will be some degree of bloat, which needs to be released with stomach tubing. Only then can the guts hopefully start again, with use of the above treatment.

:DThanks for that. Very interesting. Forgot to say, yes Lailey was also put on a drip. I feel much more confident about my vets now. They certainly made my Lay-Lays better:D:D I'm seeing my vet Tuesday for check-up. Well Lailey is:D So when normally, can I stop giving all these drugs?? I know my vets will advise me but just wondering. You are all very helpful, informative and knowledgeable.
You gotta love this forum:D:D

Juliaxx

Back