• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much to feed

sw33ty

Warren Scout
I need so advice as i'm new to having a rabbit:roll:I have a Dutch (or thats what she looks like poss cross) about 7-8 months old. I was wondering how much food she should be getting as I would hate to be over feeding her:oops:At the min she is getting 2 hand fulls of pellet/flake dry food (I have small'ish hands for a male) a carrot & about 2 cabbage leaves a day & plenty of hay as ther is always some left over.
I have found in the 10 days of having her that she always leave some food in her dish so I don't think starving her just worried incase she is getting perhaps to much:?

In theory rabbits do not need pellets, a small egg cut full per rabbit is maximum which is required each day. I would cut down the amount of carrot as that is quite sugary, the greens are fine. Hay should make up 80 - 90 % of their diet, on average a rabbit should eat their body size of hay each day, if they dont decrease the dried food further.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that :DI shall cut down the dry food & carrots & see how she gets on:D

Last edited:
"Their body size of hay a day." WOW! Mine only eats about a handful!!! He is on the grass all day though and grazes.

"Their body size of hay a day." WOW! Mine only eats about a handful!!! He is on the grass all day though and grazes.

If he is having grass as well that is not as bad, if you want to increase their hay intake cut back on the dried food.

Back