• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snuffles

meters2

New Kit
ive been having a problem with rabbits dieing at 6 to 8 weeks old for no apparent reason they have been just flat on the cage floor some have been alive and some have been dead it seems to be just the females yesterday ive found a 5 week old rabbit with a real runny nose the first thing i did was the baytril dose and today more research on the net their is more forms of snuffles prehaps the ive had the more agressive form with out being able to get to the bottom of my problem with my vet i have only manage to save i doe this year out of six that have had it ive used all known disenfectants with water based but still i lose them whats this about echinacea in the water ?

Properties of echinasea are believed to be alternative, anti-fungal, anti-septic, anti-inflammatory, astringent, diaphoretic, carminative, anti-bacterial, depurative, immune stimulant, digestive tonic and stimulant. The plant is obviously a food supplement. A food supplement is an addition to your food that that you eat. This includes vitamins, minerals as well as herbals.

It is meant to be given as a tonic as an immune booster as opposed to giving to make well.

From the way that you have worded this I assume that you are a breeder.

Snuffles is usually caused by a bacterial infection usually carried by other rabbits which gets passed on to others including babies by droplett infection. If this is an ongoing problem you have an obvious genetic immune deficiency in your stock and I would advise you to stop breeding to maintain and improve the health of the ones you have. Breeding from immune deficient stock only depletes their health further.

Another thought is if this infection is a long standing problem I would guess that it is also ingrained in hutches and the surrounding area where you keep your rabbits.

To be fair to them it would be best to retire your stock and not to continue to breed further.

Back