• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wasp sting

qwertyuiop

Young Bun
i was just sorting out the run in the garden and disturbed a wasps nest, they were crawling on and chasing 3 rabbits i had out at the time and really stressed them out. one of my rabbits in particular had a couple on her face and now will hardly open her eye which is weeping and appears to have a white dot on her eyeball. im wondering if she has been stung on her eye and the best thing to do?!

One sting from a bee or wasp will cause some localized swelling and discomfort, but is usually not life-threatening, unless your rabbit is allergic.

Signs of allergic reaction include difficulty breathing, severe swelling of the face and/or respiratory tract and signs of progressing shock. If the stinger is still lodged in the skin, consult your rabbit veterinarian for advice on what to do next.

Depending on the extent of the swelling you may wish to give your local vet a call and seek advise. Application of a cold pack may help with the swelling if it is mild. Obviously if there are any signs of a deterioration in your rabbits condition or the swelling gets worse do ensure that your rabbit gets seen by a vet immediatly.

i know this is nothing really to do with rabbits but we found a dead wasp in the kettle this morning..............after the cup of tea........:shock:

haha nice!
her eye is very red and very very gunky, she can open it but she seems to be keeping it shut most of the time. i have been bathing it but im hoping it will just clear itself up?!x

gosh poor little mite, i would prob get to vets maybe they have something... best thing to do i recon is cold compress on it and get to vets to ensure nothing stuck in there stilll like the stinger. good luck

Back