• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

inside bunny to outside bunny

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I am hoping to bond all five of my bunnys when i come back my hols but my question is this - i have four buns two mixed pairs and one lone bun. My lone bun lives as a house bun as we got him in october last year and to cold to put out and has got so adjusted to us and inside that im not sure how heel do outside.

He has plenty of company inside and has the whole top landing to himself including my daughters bedroom who he adores and when she was ill and couldnt get out of bed benji would jump up on her bed and lie beside her keeping her company sooo cute. Anyway my husband and son are fed up of having to avoid him when they are going about their lives and want him outside and i cant deny it would be nice to have my landing bacxk again but the problem is benji will he adap to the outside considering he is so happy inside. He will have loads of space outside and if bonding goes well he will have bunny company too but he is so used to carpets and beds and things i worry the adjustment will be too great.

We do let him out every day when it is nice and have a run for the grass which he seems happy binkying about in and but when we put him in his large hutch outside and add a large run to it he stays inside the hutch and wont go out in the run which is slabbed even with a couple of rugs for comfort and is always happy when its bedtime and he has to come back inside to the comfyness he is used to.

I really worry he wont cope with outside does anyone have any opinions to help me plse

thanks in advance sorry for long post.

gill
:wave:

I have dealt with that before it seems as if it would be hard but normally if you do it correctly it is very easy first start leaving him outside in a run for about an hour longer than he is normally out in a week of doing this add another hour and so on until he is out for the better part of the day you should put him in a hutch while he is adjusting so you don't have to be out there the whole time if he has a run atached thats great but as long as you have a hutch it's fine after he has been kept out for the entire daylight period you can start leaving him in the whole day check him over the next day and see how he is doing if he is acting normal not scared or anything just start leaving him in there all the time except when you play with him and stuff he should be fine although I don't know what to do if he doesn't do well hope this helps :wave:

Hi there, I think bunnies adapt to change quite well. I have four inside bunnies and soon they will be moved outside to my big shed.

Especially as your one will have bunny company, they do love being with other buns.

It can take a while to bond with others though I found, but even the most stubburn ones seem to give in. :D

:wave: I changed Nushkas living from house to outside - (I had to as she fell out with my other two house buns). I got her a husbunny and I honestly believe she is much happier outside - she loves digging and running round the garden with Bungle :D

You won't really know until you have tried the bonding, so i'd just wait and see how he gets on. I hope it works out for you :D

Hi

I was thinking about you yesterday, wondering if you had started the bonding yet and how it was going. :wave:

My three bunnies all started off as house bunnies but I really do think they enjoy being outside. They enjoy all the smells and they can sunbathe... I hate cleaning them out in the rain and snow though! :lol: They enjoy being outside bunnies more than I do. I miss having them hopping about inside.

x

Hope all goes well with the bonding :D I had a long term house bun and moved her outside a couple of months ago with a friend and she hasnt looked back since. She really is happy and has that content bunny face :lol: Im sure your little one will be fine.

inside bunny to outside

thanks everyone for your replies that alieviates some of my fears.

I think the main worry is that the other four are all used to each others smells and things and have been bonded as mixed pairs for nearly two years for one pair and nearly a year for the other and are used to being outside.

Benji on the other hand is not used to outside at all or other bunnies and i feel the change will be too much . Especially as the other four kind of know each other and i feel the bond between them will be okay but adding benji into the mix for him not knowing them and not being used to outside i feel it would be too hard for him.

I have another bun coming next week who is only 8 weeks old and who i will be neutering when she is old enough and she will be going outside right away do you think i should wait until she is old enough and is neutered and try bonding him with her first so he has got a friend and then try and bond with the other four later. I was going to try the bonding when i come back my hold at end of july so do you think i should just try and bond the four and leave benji inside until my wee new one gets neutered and older and then bond them and add them together later or try and bond him in with the original four.

Sorry for the questions just want my wee benji to be as happy as he is now. He was out for a good couple of hours today in a run in the front garden on the grass and i put two of my mixed pairs in a large run beside him to see how they would react, he seemed not bothered and liked being out on the grass like he does but still seemed very happy to be going in at the end of the day. So not sure what to do for the bes for him and like you say jools i will miss him bobbing about the landing.

thanks again everyone who replies anyone else with advice pls feel free as still undecided although all your replies helped alot.

gill:wave::wave:

Sorry, I don't have any experience of bonding but I think I'd be tempted to bond him with the new girl so he has a friend in place incase the group bonding doesn't work out. He might feel more confident outdoors if he has a friend to snuggle up or explore with too which may make him happier to stay there at bedtime. If he's well litter trained you could put carpert tiles in his hutch or bedroom so he has some home comforts!

I'm about to move my indoor bunnies outdoors and they are gradually spending longer and longer outside each day. I put their existing blankets and litter tray out with them so they have familiar smells in the new place.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. :D

indoorbunny/outdoor bunny

thanks rowan really appreciate you replying and your advice is kind of what i was thinking about just needed someone more experience to let me know what they thought.

thanks again
gill:wave:

Back