• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grass vs. hay question

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
In summer, is it ok to let buns fill up on grass, to the detriment of their hay consumption?

i.e., is the grass any worse for their stomachs or teeth - would it damage them to be eating less hay, if they had the grass as a substitute?

They adore grazing and will eat much more grass than hay but i don't want to inadvertently damage them...i would of course acclimatise them to the grass gradually

as i understand it, hay is a substitute for grass not the other way around so aslong as they are grinding thier teeth in the right way it doesnt matter whether its grass or hay they are munchin :) altho i guess like anything you have to get thier little tummies used to small quantities first :D

:wave: Hiya

I let them have both hay and grass when their out in their run - I leave them out on grass for around 15 mins a time at the moment and they will literally just eat and hop :)

Hay/grass, grass/hay, its all the same thing. We feed hay as a substitute for grass. Both are abrassive and will ensure your rabbit's teeth are being worn down effectively and correctly. As long as they're eating plenty of either, its not a problem. Just re-introduce grass slowly in the spring as initially it can upset tummies due to it being very rich in spring, if introduced too quickly!

Mine eats grass all day and will only nibble hay if that is not available (during the rain) He also has pellets twice a day.

good stuff. they much prefer the grass anyway and I thought it must be ok with it being the diet of wild buns - just wasnt sure cos I've noticed dried grass is lower in fibre than hay - might be a different species though. ta everyone

my buns graze from 8am till before dark and eat very little hay(though of course they have some at night when shut in)and their poos are smaller and darker than when they've had less access to grass and more hay. Mine would prefer grass any day.-Sue:wave:

Back