• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So many questions ..

Lindt bunny

Warren Scout
As you know I had to pts my little sweet Truffle and bury her yesterday:cry:.

This, to me, has brought about a lot of questions and if any of you could help me reason it would be helpful for me.

The vet said it had been collitus (sp?) and even though I spent £170 on treatment we could not save her:cry:

Reading through the forum this sort of stomach condition is very common and very upsetting. Is it more likely in young buns or just any? Was it something I did or didn't do?

My hubby wants me to look for another rabbit and continue with my plans to keep two together in a forever home and luxury hutch but I am shaken by the whole experience. If I had the nerve I would want a rescue bun again as there seem so many but I am unsure. Is a slightly older bun a better option as little one's are cute before not very strong.:(

My other bun is Sooty who is 12 weeks (currently living in her own 4ft indoor cage which was seperate but alongside Truffle's) while my hubby is still putting the finishing touches to the hutch outside. It is an 8ft in length hutch and has a slide divider with 3 options (1. a solid divide, 2. a double weld mesh divide (for the start of the bonding process and 3.) a big arch way for (if and when two are sharing after a successful bond).

Here it is .... today hubby wants to put the roof on and weather protect it. It will be placed inside a bunny style aviary as well.

6-1.jpg

K x

I can't really comment on the medical issues I'm afraid but I have to comment on what a good set up you're providing for the bunnies and what a clever hubby you have!

The hutch looks great....give yourself a bit of time to get over whats happened and you might feel more confident about having another bun to pair up with Sooty.

Hi, I'm sorry I can't comment on the medical issues either (someone with more knowledge will be along soon) but just wanted to send good vibes.

I lost two quite well established (but not old) bunnies earlier this year and the guilt was huge. I've no idea if I did something wrong but I was shocked at how much guilt I felt. I think when you come to terms with it you just have to find a way of telling yourself you did your very best. Though I can appreciate that is very hard when the rabbit is so young.

I know you will be/are an excellent bunny mum and the set up you have got is amazing. I'm sure when you get your confidence back you will be able to get Sooty a companion. I'm sure little Sooty will spur you on.

I agree with Biscuitblossom to give yourself a little time, Sooty's love will bring you through this!!

again, no medical advice Im afraid :oops: Some rabbits are just delicate, you can do everything right and still they don't thrive. Make sure you do as much research as possible on the causes and treatments of common bunny ailments - which clearly you have begun by starting this thread. :)

At first you will feel like you can never get another rabbit because the memory of Truffle is so upsetting. In time I hope you feel better and are able to give a home to another rabbit....Sooty will benefit and Truffle would be proud of you for providing a home for a rescue bun. Don't feel you have to rush though. Its a lovely setup you have and sounds like you're a very responsible owner. Hope you're feeling better soon. x x x

I am so sorry you lost Truffle. I am sure you tried your hardest and gave the best possible care but bunnies can be so fragile particularly where tummies are concerned.

You have obviously so much to offer bunnies - your hutch is amazing. Somewhere out there is a lucky rescue bunny who is just waiting to catch your eye. Give yourself some time but bunnies are such wonderful creatures that I am sure you will sooner or later be looking to find a friend for Sooty.

You may want to consider an older neutered boy bunny for Sooty. A rescue would even be able to carry out the bonding for you and then the bunnies could move into that fabulous hutch together.

Sending loads of hugs,
Vanessa xx

Back