• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hello and HELP please!

Glen

New Kit
hello everyone, i am new here and i need your help please.

our family pet (Munchkin) is 2 years old and has started to look really tatty. her front half is fine but from half way down her back her fur is very long and looks really messy. i have tried brushing her but it hasn't helped. I have also checked her rear end which is clean and also her fur which seems mite free?

Is she just moulting? If so i have never seen her look this scruffy before, however, this is the first Rabbit we have ever owned so we are still novices.

I am a bit worried as she is my 2 daughters pet, can you help?

If you are positive she doesn't have mites (ie no flaky skin/signs of irritation) then she probably is just moulting, but keep an eye on her and take her to the vets if you're still worried. Some practices have designated small animal nurse and free small animal clinics so if yours does maybe s/he could look at her to reassure you?

God knows what breed, i think she is a mix to be honest. Here she is.

Munchkin.jpg

Glen

Smudge (our female) looks a bit tatty around her hind-quarters at the moment but thats just moulting... LOADS of fur always coming out like it is never ending.

Temperatures have changes so they will be moulting lots.

A Bun should not get overly tatty at their back end if they are in good health. Buns are by nature very clean and a lack of self grooming often indicates a health problem, quite often related to the Buns teeth. If they have a sore mouth from molar spurs ( sharp points on the back teeth ) they will be less inclined to groom themselves. Spinal pain from arthritis also results in a lack of grooming.

Aswell as helping your Bun groom by gently removing the lose tufts of fur and combing her I would ask your Vet to give her a thorough healthcheck.
If she does have the start of dental problems removing excess loose fur daily is essential to avoid her ingesting too much of it. Buns with dental problems also get reduced gut motility. Ingesting lots of fur when the gut motility is already reduced can lead to serious problems.

Janex

Sounds like it, just teese the tatty bits out, you shouldn't have to pull to hard for it to come away, my female is tatty half way down her back down to her tail, as for the male in the family he's got none coming out at the mo.

A couple of mine are a bit tatty at the moment, I find the brush does nothing but a comb is better.

my bun always used to have loose tufts of fur sticking out or we had hairballs rolling around the kitchen like something out of a western:lol: she was forever grooming herself she didn't have mites or bad skin so couldn't find any symptoms to explain it apart from moulting until i tried her on super solivax cod liver oil for small furies its 1 capsule which i squeeze into her food and after a couple of weeks her coat was really soft and hardly any loose fur her coat is so soft it really worked much better than i was expecting and its safe for g.pigs, birds even horses.

Hi
I have a 2yr old bunny (Midnight) he's a lionhead x lop. He's usually black but as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer he turns brown. Then by christmas he'll be black again. In between colours his fur sticks out in tufts some black some brown and bits come out so I just groom him a bit more often at this time of year.

Have you tried wetting your hands and running them over her. This captures the loose fur quite well and enables you to check for any lumps and bumps at the same time. One of my buns has a skirt at the moment where he has a moult line.

A couple of my buns look pretty scruffy and tufty when moulting but will let me stroke them to loosen the fur and tidy things up a bit.

If she has kept herself nicely groomed in the past it may be worth a trip to the vet to check there are no teeth problems or anything.

Back