• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is she going blind?

LumyBunny

Banned
My bunny's eye had been runny for ages and over the last few days it's got like a large red area across the bottom of it. She's waiting to go in for a dental as her tear duct is completely blocked and she's on antibiotics but her eye is not improving. She's coping fine but I really do think she's going to lose her sight :( Does anyone have any experience of this?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about bunny illness to comment on the state of her eye at present. Hopefully once her op is done and the source of infection removed she will recover fully. However, if the absolute worst happens and she does lose her sight in that eye, her quality of life can still be absolutely great. One of my six year olds is blind in one eye but has a fantastic time/is active/gets on well with the others/is generally a very happy bun. I do hope all goes well with your bun but if it doesn't she can still have a full and happy life.

Hello.

Bailey's eye is sometimes red as he is a dental bunny...

is it on his skin or the actual eye ball?

Hello.

Bailey's eye is sometimes red as he is a dental bunny...

is it on his skin or the actual eye ball?

It's on the eye ball itself, around the bottom, the skin around is red too but I'm concerned about the eye ball in particular :( I've read that in some cases the eye has to be removed, which I'm prepared for, but I'd hate to think I was letting her suffer. She hasn't been back to the vet since the redness appeared but I know the cause is the snuffles/teeth etc which I'm still treating before she goes for the op. She's acting normally so I don't think she's in any pain but I'm so worried about the poor little girl :(

Last edited:
It's on the eye ball itself, around the bottom, the skin around is red too but I'm concerned about the eye ball in particular :( I've read that in some cases the eye has to be removed, which I'm prepared for, but I'd hate to think I was letting her suffer. She hasn't been back to the vet since the redness appeared but I know the cause is the snuffles/teeth etc which I'm still treating before she goes for the op. She's acting normally so I don't think she's in any pain but I'm so worried about the poor little girl :(

oh dear.. im not sure what to suggest other than a trip to the vets.

sending lots of vibes.

Thanks for the advice and vibes everyone. She keeps the eye shut most of the time now, I think I'll call the vet tomorrow just to see if they can book her in for the op yet, I really can't wait for it to be over and done with.

Thanks for the advice and vibes everyone. She keeps the eye shut most of the time now, I think I'll call the vet tomorrow just to see if they can book her in for the op yet, I really can't wait for it to be over and done with.

I will be thiking of you, keep us updated hun x

Back