• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are you buns insured?

caroline m

New Kit
Hi all, i hope this is in the right place as i am new to this site and to bunnies!!
Do you all have your buns insured and if so who with?
I have pedigree cats who we do insure and have found to be of huge benifit but not too sure what to do about the buns as their doesnt seem much choice of insurance and dont want to end up paying for a policy that isnt much use...................................so answers on a postcard please ;0)
Thanks Caroline, Manny and Fifi

Yes, with Petplan.

If nothing else it's there "in case". The only thing it doesn't cover for me is if Lucifer has stasis, but the two times she's had it it's been solved for less than £15 - which is a lot less than my excess so I don't mind.

Last edited:
I was going to get mine insured but then Lionel was really sick within 1 week of getting him and the insurance wouldn't cover anything that had already been diagnosed or related to the diagnosis so there wasn't any point in getting it. If you are going to go for it i would get it asap just incase ;)

I was going to get mine insured but then Lionel was really sick within 1 week of getting him and the insurance wouldn't cover anything that had already been diagnosed or related to the diagnosis so there wasn't any point in getting it. If you are going to go for it i would get it asap just incase ;)

It'll still cover anything that's not related to that though, and the restriction will only be for 12 months, so long as he doesn't get it again in that 12 months.

mine are insured with petplan too.. deffo worth it, had alvin less than a year and ive already claimed for stasis (emergancy fees too :shock:)

Personally I don't think it's worth it - unless something really drastic goes wrong then paying the monthly fee and the excess just doesn't seem a good deal to me. I did a "sample" case with Charlie (male 3years old) and they wanted about £10 a month - I've had him 18months now that would amount to an outlay of £230 if I used them tomorrow :? - plus the other 14 ....... :shock: Better off putting the money aside in a bank account I think :D

ETA I did get a "welcome pack" through from Petplan yesterday for my free 6weeks for Tufty??? Who's Tufty?? :? Now there's a name I haven't used yet!! :lol: :lol:

It'll still cover anything that's not related to that though, and the restriction will only be for 12 months, so long as he doesn't get it again in that 12 months.

Unfortunately its an on going problem i have probably spent nearly £1k on him and i've not even had him a year yet!!

Nope I prefer to put money away each month in to a savings account for emergency vet bills :) At least I know the money is there no matter what they need to see the vet for x

I am seriously thinking about this (insurance) as my remaining bunny is 12 weeks old. I lost Truffle and before she died spent £170 on treatment for her.

K x

Personally i would recommend getting insurance. One of my bunnies isn't insured for gut problems (although this exclusion is reviewed after 12 months and Peplan will usually reduce/remove the exclusion after that time), however, she is covered for everything else. My other rabbit has had vet bills over £1300 just in the last year and Petplan has paid out. They have been fantastic and not had any problems with them paying up. There is no way i could have afforded that kind of money myself and putting away the £9 per month i pay for each bunny would not have covered £1300!! The way i see it is that if your pet is insured then money is not a worry when they become ill and therefore you can provide your pet with the best veterinary treatment possible. Petplan are very good as they offer a lifetime policy, meaning each condition your pet may develop is covered for LIFE, not just that policy year. Many insurance companies only provide cover for a particular condition for that policy year, meaning after that time you are left to foot the bill. I would just make sure you get a lifetime policy, whoever you choose.

I have two buns insured and two not.... I'm going to cancel the two and put the money aside as typically Nushka who is uninsured was the last one to need emergency care....:roll:

Personally I don't think it's worth it - unless something really drastic goes wrong then paying the monthly fee and the excess just doesn't seem a good deal to me. I did a "sample" case with Charlie (male 3years old) and they wanted about £10 a month - I've had him 18months now that would amount to an outlay of £230 if I used them tomorrow :? - plus the other 14 ....... :shock: Better off putting the money aside in a bank account I think :D

ETA I did get a "welcome pack" through from Petplan yesterday for my free 6weeks for Tufty??? Who's Tufty?? :? Now there's a name I haven't used yet!! :lol: :lol:

I think Tufty is any bun you want him to be who gets ill in the next 6 months :lol::lol::lol:

I recived a cheque in the post for £100 yesterday for when honey had her little eposide a couple of weeks ago, It all happened so quick i thought i would be waiting ages for a pay out, I would def recommend it and would never cancel it, Its more peace of mind for me

I can't fault Petplan, they paid out around £2000 for Benny's illnesses so £7was a small price to pay for peace of mind. Harvey is insured with Petplan but they wouldn't insure Daisy as she's an older girl. She is insured with Petprotect who we've just submitted a claim to so I should soon know how good they are!

I can't fault Petplan, they paid out around £2000 for Benny's illnesses so £7was a small price to pay for peace of mind. Harvey is insured with Petplan but they wouldn't insure Daisy as she's an older girl.
Hi,
Can you tell me. Do Petplan say they will not insure your pet unless it has its regular inoculations??

All my giants are insured the other buns are too old.

Red my hare was stung by a bee earlier in the year and the whole treatment cost nearly £300.00. Delilah was my french lop she was very poorly before she died and that was nearly £1000.00
All my pets are insured.

If you have loads i think its best. Unless you have a credit card or botomless purse!

I didn't even hesitate. All my four ( and nearly 5) are insured. It costs me £30 a month and even just this year ive needed near £500 with emergency stasis and hospital fees and three dentals. Putting money aside every month would never have paid for that. It's not even worth debating over in my experience. Peace of mind for you and your bunnies - can't really put a price on that :D

Last edited:
Hi all i did it today and insured them with pet plan, going to cost £21.06 a month for both buns. Hopefully i will never need it but its there incase i do.

Caroline:wave:

I didn't even hesitate. All my four ( and nearly 5) are insured. It costs me £30 a month and even just this year ive needed near £500 with emergency stasis and hospital fees and three dentals. Putting money aside every month would never have paid for that. It's not even worth debating over in my experience. Peace of mind for you and your bunnies - can't really put a price on that :D

totally agree.. alvin cost £350 in one illness and i have a feeling its gonna happen again..

i didnt claim for my cat in his 6 years of life but at the end when it was needed he had the best care because i didnt have to worry about cost... unfortunately even the best care wasnt enough :cry::cry:

should i need it i dont want to have to worry if i can afford to keep my angels alive :shock:

Back