• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Duo vs Trio?

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
We have had happy duo for a while, and today acquired a third bunny. Though we have yet to bond the new comer into the duo, I have worries that a third could upset the relative harmony that we have at the moment.

Should I be concerned?

Will one bunny be left out or pushed out whilst the other two get along?

Will the new bunny be allowed to fit into the established duo?

What are peoples' experiences of this?

I know bunnies live in large groups but I still worry.

Any advice appreciated.

I've noticed that my trio are either all together, all separate or in a two-and-one situation, however it's never the same two, they swap around a bit! :)lol:)

I've noticed that my trio are either all together, all separate or in a two-and-one situation, however it's never the same two, they swap around a bit! :)lol:)

But I assume they are happy in their trio? I worry that one of the bunnies will end up being left out and so be unhappy or ostracised.

But I assume they are happy in their trio? I worry that one of the bunnies will end up being left out and so be unhappy or ostracised.

They're fine, as I say they do have three-some snuggles.

It's just like having two best friends really, sometimes you all go out together, and sometimes you just want to be on your own for a while.

Hmm is this an omen of things to come?

This morning Smudge and Frosty (my loved up bonded bunnies) decided to have a row. Lots of fur pulling and Frosty even made his "save me" yelp.
We split them up, no sign of injuries apart from Frosty's dignity and ego.
Though we think he was trying to hump her and she finally told him where to go... They are both neutered/spayed/castrated (female and male).

At present we have Cookie (the new female) downstairs in the bathroom as she is a bit nervous about the whole thing. But if they can smell each other could that have caused the issue?
Cookie is only 8 weeks old so hasn't been spayed yet, but she will be.

Smudge is the one that I worry about, she is fiesty about other bunnies, and it was her that was aggressive last time we bonded Frosty and Smudge. Frosty is generally laid back and as long as he gets love and food he is happy.

They just had another tiff... Smudge is instigating these tiffs and Frosty is just trying to keep out the way or defend himself.

Will things settle down again back to bunny bliss?

We had a trio up to fairly recently, Herbie and the two sisters and tho there was no chasing etc it was obvious that Rosie - the most timid - was the odd one out. Hollie adores Herbie and and made sure she was the one who gave Herb all the attention. The only time I ever saw Rosie binky in a trio was when Hollie had gone to be spayed!

We had to split the girls after Hollie was spayed as the bond fell apart (because of complications with Hollie they were spayed at different times). Now Rosie has a man and a house of her own she is a lot happier. I think trios can work but obviously will depend on the bunny personalities.

I am 'glad' (well not really) to hear Smudge and Frosty are having some marital problems. Our Herbie has been horrid over the last few days, bullying poor Hollie when they are out in the runs. Hollie doesn't know whether to run away or try to groom him to make things right. We have recently aquired two more rabbits and am wondering if this has upset Herb. I hope they, and yours, settle down soon. The stress factor is rising here :(

Hmm is this an omen of things to come?

This morning Smudge and Frosty (my loved up bonded bunnies) decided to have a row. Lots of fur pulling and Frosty even made his "save me" yelp.
We split them up, no sign of injuries apart from Frosty's dignity and ego.
Though we think he was trying to hump her and she finally told him where to go... They are both neutered/spayed/castrated (female and male).

At present we have Cookie (the new female) downstairs in the bathroom as she is a bit nervous about the whole thing. But if they can smell each other could that have caused the issue?
Cookie is only 8 weeks old so hasn't been spayed yet, but she will be.

Smudge is the one that I worry about, she is fiesty about other bunnies, and it was her that was aggressive last time we bonded Frosty and Smudge. Frosty is generally laid back and as long as he gets love and food he is happy.

They just had another tiff... Smudge is instigating these tiffs and Frosty is just trying to keep out the way or defend himself.

Will things settle down again back to bunny bliss?

Yes. Before I bonded Azrael with Lucifer & Nyx the pair were a bit argumentative; and I do believe it was because they could smell the "intruder" (as it were).

They've been fine since they've been bonded though, Azrael is a bit moody sometimes (lionhead :roll::lol:) but nothing the other two can't handle :lol:

Im trying to bond Belle and Perry with Missy I took from from KayJ. Belle and Perry do get a little bit arsey with each other during bonding but that calms down. I think Belle is jealous there is another girl having a look at her fella!

I've had Missy a week now and their cages and pens are next to each other so they pair can see Missy, and they are having bonding sessions every day, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I'm with you - i just hope it doesn't affect Belle and Perry's relationship. Up until now though, it looks like everything is going to be ok. Have a go!

thethreesome.jpg

Lisa and the buns

Well we put Cookie with Smudge, as Smudge is going to be the fiesty one. Frosty couldn't give a poop as long as he gets his share of the food.

We put them both on their leashes (yes I know some people don't like them but I feel more secure with them on in case they start fisticuffs), and then put them in the bathroom together.

They stared at each other and hopped about. Smudge did try to nip Cookie several times, once catching a mouthful of fur, but nothing hugely aggressive. Cookie being young just wants cuddles (though bunnies only it seems as she nibbles anything non-bunny) and Smudge just wants to let her know that she is boss....

So we will continue this process and hopefully calm will be restored in Bunny Land.

Watch this space.

Im thinking of bonding my 3 boys in about a months time. Was told to let them just get on with it... got some of my mums friends coming to do it for me though because im a wimp :oops: :lol:

Im thinking of bonding my 3 boys in about a months time. Was told to let them just get on with it... got some of my mums friends coming to do it for me though because im a wimp :oops: :lol:

I have heard people say just "dump" them in a room and let them fight it out. But bunnies can be savage fighters and whilst I expect fur pulling I don't want ears bitten through or worse...

Doing it our way seems to work so I will stick to that.

I have heard people say just "dump" them in a room and let them fight it out. But bunnies can be savage fighters and whilst I expect fur pulling I don't want ears bitten through or worse...

Doing it our way seems to work so I will stick to that.

That's my method, and the worst that's ever happened has been a chase with some fur left along the route! :lol:

Do you just put them in a room and let them get on with it?

Well, both times they started off in the bath (without water!) but after about 10 mins they got "let out" into the bathroom, where I'd sit with them. I don't have a huge bathroom, but it's big enough that they can stay away & eye each other up :lol: after about 30 mins of that I put the babygate up & leave them to it, setting up the temporary living quarters in the spare room, where they go when it's sorted out. They stay there for a few days (anything up to a week) before coming back downstairs to where they normally live.

What sex are your buns?

Id like to bond my 3 boys but I feeling Jazz is going to be the problem!

Two does & a buck.

When I was bonding Azrael (doe, lionhead) with Lucifer (doe) & Nyx (buck) I thought she was going to go through the floorboards & into my kitchen she was thumping so much! :roll::lol::lol:

Back