• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some photos from my first DSLR!!

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
Today was my first proper outing since buying my Nikon D40, and I wanted to share some of the pics I took. They were taken in a small town south of Aberdeen called Stonehaven! Any tips from all the keen photographers on here are welcomed!! :D

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

And finally, check the size of these ice creams!! They were Yum!!!
DSC_0281.jpg

Last edited:
Today was my first proper outing since buying my Nikon D40, and I wanted to share some of the pics I took. They were taken in a small town south of Aberdeen called Stonehaven! Any tips from all the keen photographers on here are welcomed!! :D

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

And finally, check the size of these ice creams!! They were Yum!!!
DSC_0281.jpg

i want an icecream:cry::lol: i love that piccie before the icecreams where is it

That is actually in Aberdeen, It's Marischal College, part of the university - where I graduated! It's very nice, when you go through the gates and into the quad :D

Observations from a fellow phtographers critical eye...

Pic 1. did you mean to have the rock in focus and the people out of focus? If not (and I know DSLRs manuals are humungous).... don't know if the Nikon is like my Canon 400D but you can select where to have the focus on aperture priority i.e. not just in the centre.

pic of man walking .... I suppose this is where the "rule of thirds" comes into play and it would be better composed if he wasn't central.

The buildings... I had a similar problem with lean on my pics and have just bought a mag that has instructions on how to correct this (but I don't understand it :oops: ).. it seems a common problem with DSLRs

Now the ice cream pic...
2.gif
I can taste the sauce and want to lick it :oops::lol:

Observations from a fellow phtographers critical eye...

Pic 1. did you mean to have the rock in focus and the people out of focus? If not (and I know DSLRs manuals are humungous).... don't know if the Nikon is like my Canon 400D but you can select where to have the focus on aperture priority i.e. not just in the centre.

pic of man walking .... I suppose this is where the "rule of thirds" comes into play and it would be better composed if he wasn't central.

The buildings... I had a similar problem with lean on my pics and have just bought a mag that has instructions on how to correct this (but I don't understand it :oops: ).. it seems a common problem with DSLRs

Now the ice cream pic...
2.gif
I can taste the sauce and want to lick it :oops::lol:

Thanks! :wave:

I did wonder about the lean of the college, but i wasn't really sure what I did or how to fix it cos I was looking at it vertically :oops: Glad it wasn't just me then :lol:

Yes i did mean to have the kids blurred, as I didn't know them, and I didn't want to get in trouble from their parents who were pottering around lol.

So where should I have had my o/h in the pic? Nearer the top of the picture/bottom of the pic, or to one side?

Oopsy, sorry for posting in the wrong section :oops: I thought only pics and vids of bunnies were supposed to go in here, and anything non rabbit related in general chat :oops:

So where should I have had my o/h in the pic? Nearer the top of the picture/bottom of the pic, or to one side?
:wave: You know the game noughts and crosses? Well if you have imaginary lines like that in your frame, the subject should be where 2 of the lines cross.... hope that makes sense. Of course rules are meant to be broken but it is easier on the eye if the subject isn't so central.

:wave: You know the game noughts and crosses? Well if you have imaginary lines like that in your frame, the subject should be where 2 of the lines cross.... hope that makes sense. Of course rules are meant to be broken but it is easier on the eye if the subject isn't so central.

Ah ok, so in this photo, do you think it would have been better having him towards one of the top corners or bottom corners? I guess I would have thought further to the top corner, as there is more detail to the bottom?

Awh thanks Donna :oops: I'm still learning!

Have a play with with crop facility and see which works best... here's an example... obviously you decide :)

test.jpg

test2.jpg
I like the last pic as he's heading away from the big rocks which are quite interesting in their own right :) just my opinion btw :oops:

Last edited:
Oh lovely first pics!! :D :wave:

I especially like the children playing with the forground rocks. The tight DOF works well, especially seeing as you don't know the children - I'm not one for portraits anyway! :lol:

Personally I think centralised pics are underrated and can work really well. I think the guy (your boyfriend or random bloke?!) walking along the small pier thingy, might look nice in B/W with a high contrast, and cropped in portrait mode seeing as the pier takes your eye out to the sea :)

Well done on first piccies, they are great... and yes, I want that ice cream!! :lol:

Awh thanks for all your opinions, and tips guys! I'm so pleased to have a camera finally! I appreciate all the advice, and am playing around with the pics now. My boyfriend (that weird dude in the picture, Thea :lol: ) is about to pyt photoshop on my computer for me, so there's another thing for me to master :lol: :rolleyes:

good first trip photos....my OH bought a wolloping great cannon thing the other weekend and I'm still getting used to it....it's like the starship enterprise...all my photos are rubbish at the mo.

Oh lovely first pics!! :D :wave:

I especially like the children playing with the forground rocks. The tight DOF works well, especially seeing as you don't know the children - I'm not one for portraits anyway! :lol:

Personally I think centralised pics are underrated and can work really well. I think the guy (your boyfriend or random bloke?!) walking along the small pier thingy, might look nice in B/W with a high contrast, and cropped in portrait mode seeing as the pier takes your eye out to the sea :)

Well done on first piccies, they are great... and yes, I want that ice cream!! :lol:

Something like this?
DSC_0127bwportrait.jpg

It does give it a good effect, I'm going to have to learn how to modify them on the puter too :D

Last edited:
I love it and have nicked the "heart" one :D

Would you like me to send you the very large version of it so that it is a decent size? If you do then you can PM me your email addy!

Oh and Maizey :oops: that's very sweet! I'm sure you wouldn't want a loose cannon like me documenting you're day tho! :lol::lol:

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments? I'm pleased you like them, It's feels nie to be able to take semi-decent piccies with my new gadget, I was so excited when I got it!!!

Everyone on here is so good too, it's really inspiring!!

They look great. I love the ice-cream one:D Im not a photographer, nor do I know anything about how pictures should be taken but I like your bf in the center of the pic.

Edit: It sounds like im saying I like your bf doesnt it?! :oops::lol: Im sure you know what i mean.

Last edited:
Back