• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Birds of prey (kite)

tmak

Warren Scout
Hi, haven't been here for a while, some of you may remember my stray rabbit Zoe I caught just over two years ago... anyway she's doing great but all of a sudden there's a kite that flies over the garden and I'm really worried it'll take her.

I used to see the odd bird of prey every few months but since last week I see this one often, once or twice a day. So far I don't think it's seen Zoe as she either runs in really fast or usually sits still and I cover her head so she can't see it, then usher her in to her shed once it's past. I'm too scared to let her out now in the next few days but that won't last as she'll get fed up with that. This one flies really low circuling the gardens in the street then seems to just move on, sometimes coming back within minutes. Before this I've only spotted them high up in the distance.

Does anyone have any tips on dettering these birds? Anyone know anything about them like times of day they're most likely to hunt, if they'll go for her if I'm near? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Hi, haven't been here for a while, some of you may remember my stray rabbit Zoe I caught just over two years ago... anyway she's doing great but all of a sudden there's a kite that flies over the garden and I'm really worried it'll take her.

I used to see the odd bird of prey every few months but since last week I see this one often, once or twice a day. So far I don't think it's seen Zoe as she either runs in really fast or usually sits still and I cover her head so she can't see it, then usher her in to her shed once it's past. I'm too scared to let her out now in the next few days but that won't last as she'll get fed up with that. This one flies really low circuling the gardens in the street then seems to just move on, sometimes coming back within minutes. Before this I've only spotted them high up in the distance.

Does anyone have any tips on dettering these birds? Anyone know anything about them like times of day they're most likely to hunt, if they'll go for her if I'm near? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

I know some people advocate putting a large 'dummy' eagle owl in a garden they are trying to protect, however I have no idea of if this works. The only advise would be to ensure that your rabbit is in a secure run at all times to protect if.

Hi, thanks for your replies. Zoe is in a dog kennel for most of the time, a 4ft shed type with an attached 10ft run. There are 2 hutches inside that so she can go around them, upstairs etc and play with her stuff and not get bored.

When I get home from work I let her out into the garden, tends to be for about an hour. Sometimes my father lets her out for a bit during the day. There is always one of us with her.

Fortunately we have a big garden and she's always enjoyed running around. It's very open and there are forestries pretty much a few miles away in all directions.

I tend to be able to spot the birds in the distance but as i'm terrified of them myself I panic when i see them close up. zoe's now become jumpy even if she sees a robin!

I've decided to carry on letting her out but to be much more aware. I'm only ever a foot from her now, I carry a giant plant pot with me to put on top of her if I see it, and I'm going to let her out at different times of the day in case it has a pattern. I let her out this morning about 10am and didn't see a bird of prey anywhere. Part of my plan also is encourage more crows and magpies to the garden as Zoe doesn't mind them and my neighbour has seen the crows chase the kites away.

I read somewhere that putting up old cd's can deter them as they don't like the reflections which confuse them, but I'm not sure if that'll work.

Once again thanks for all your help!

Here are some pics to give you a rough idea of the area, the video link at the end gives a good idea of the size of the garden, although much of it has changed since the vid was taken.

01.jpg

06.jpg

140506_01.jpg

VIDEO LINK:

http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=988308253C3E6A0F

wow, what an amazing garden.

If you are out with her then I don't think there's anything more you can do apart from provide her with lots of cover all around the garden so there's always somewhere to run to.

Back