• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with runny poo

Keep to restricted pellets for a couple of days and just feed loads of hay until his poops are back to normal. (I personally would feed only hay until he has solid poops again but some people don't like doing this) Then very slowly reintroduce the veggies when his poops are big and golden again :)
If he is still very loose tomorrow or seems lethargic and not himself I would get him checked by a vet but hopefully that won't be needed :)

I would keep him on a hay only diet for a day or two to give him time to settle (as you say you're going to anyway).
As the excel seems to be giving him problems I would personally just swap right over, as you are stopping the excel he wont be on pellets for a while so I see no reason restart with them. Just increase the amount gradually. The first day just give a couple of ss pellets with his hay and veg and then slowly increase the amount to your normal feeding level. :)

why not post your 10kg bag on the forum in a new post and see if anyone wants it?

Do you have any raspberry, black current or strawberry leaves? They are very binding.

If he is only that old and has a gurgly tum I would get him to the vet first thing tomorrow for a thorough check up. I didn't realise he was so young before!(I should have asked :oops: ) The vet may give him some probiotics to help balance his gut flora and he can check that he is well hydrated and feel his tummy to make sure all feels ok and that its just the food that upset his tum :)

How long have you had him and what did the previous carer feed him?

Hi, I've also got our 1st bunnies, have had them 3 weeks now (they are now 17 weeks) but I was under the impression that veg/fruit was to be very slowly introduced over a period of time, not too much at once. I also use excel junior & dwarf, the first few days we had the bunnies we got a few 'softer' poo's (i realise now I went overboard on the veg) but I was advised not to stop the veg or pellets but just cut them down as stopping and then restarting could cause more problems.
As I'm just a first time bunny mummy I know I'm not very knowledgable but 12 weeks seems quite young to be giving a big variety of veg/fruit.

Back