• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skin tear?

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
When i was cleaning Nala up last night.. she was soaking wet with wee on her bottom and feet.. i was using a comb to get the worst of the clumps of grass/hay/fur out when i suddenly noticed a small round 'hole' in her skin near her lady bits:oops: It was about 1/2cm across i would think, and was a round hole.. but was only the depth of the outer layer of skin. I did clean it and there was no signs of bugs or debris in the 'hole'. There was a tiny bit of blood but when i wiped it away no more blood appeared. This morning i was planning to get a vet appointment for when i finish work this afternoon and checked her bottom before i came to work to find that it had gone :? You could see a slight red line where the 'hole' was but it had 'sealed up'.. and even when i moved her skin/fur it didnt open up again.
I dont really understand what it could be.. do you think as i was combing her fur there i could have torn her skin? She didnt jump or squeal at all so didnt noticed her feel any pain at all.. im just a bit confused. Obviously i'll keep checking it to ensure it stays clean and doesnt open up again.. any ideas????

keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't open up again, if it does the vet will glue it. It could have been from a fight? I'm not sure pulling fur out with a comb could cause such a tear but it is very thin skin there. I accidentally nicked my lionhead with a pair of scissors underneath and it caused a similar hole :(.

I would be more concerned as to why she was soaked in urine?

I have had her for 3yrs now but she was just over 2yrs old when i got her ( so now about 5.5yrs old) and she has never been a clean/tidy bunny :? She sometimes goes to the toilet in a tray but often just wees on the floor so ends up with wet fur. She must just sit in the puddle i would think :? They are house rabbits so outside of her trays is lino. Some days she is worse than others, not sure why though :?

Back