• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rear Guard or similar

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I am worried about Nala.. she often will wee on the floor in her room, which is lino. She then must sit in the puddle as her bottom and feet are constantly yellow and if i catch her at the time it is soaking wet too. I do comb the fur there frequently and wipe the worst of the wee off. She has always done this so i am not overly concerned about the weeing issue. What does worry me though is the risk of flystrike. I know alot of you do use some sort of rear guard or similar product. What is the best and most economical product and where do you get it from? Simba and Fifi always have white bottoms and feet!!:roll:

Sorry didn't see this and posted in your other thread :oops:

Could you clip the fur underneath and around the back area?

I could although her fur underneath isnt particularly long.. just fuzzy. I'd rather have something that would protect her more from flystrike ;)

Hi, I think you can only get rearguard from vet and it is about £15 and lasts for 8-10 weeks. Not sure if protection would be reduced with your bunny if you need to clean her more often - I would imagine it would be.

Rearguard also is not a fly deterrent, it will only stop fly eggs from developing. Not sure if there are any other things you could use to deter. You could put up fly strips and have some of the insectocutor things in her room. Also you could put a net curtain over crate or whatever you have if she is in there for any length of time.

I would have the vets clip her right down to the skin underneath and clip her fur short too then rearguard her! You should get two applications out of one bottle for a small bunny. I'm sure there are some home remedies for repelling flies i.e a citrus spray made from water and citrus juice......just can't remember which citrus fruits to use!!!

I think lavendar repels flies.. i have some growing in the garden so maybe i'll put a pot of it on the windowsill :? I don't really have a problem with flies in their room.. i just feel as she keeps getting wet with wee that she is more at risk of it:?

Back