• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spiniach

phew thank you guys for replies (oppss theres a poet in me yet lol ).
I must find a food list and print it out in a folder for future reference :oops:

was wondering about watercress i do wonder what to give bunnies as a treat i reckon someone should put a sticky up of all the fresh foods bunnys can eat and what quanties as i have a veg patch and a very large herb patch im familiar with what some plants and flower they are not suppose to eat like potato leaves and as tomatoes and peppers are all part of the nightshade family i asume they cant eat then either :?runner bean leaves i know are a no no the last "bunny" (simon) i had pretty much wanted to eat everything as he was large i didnt worry to much if he had a little nibble (i.e. steal a leaf and run off down to the bottom of the garden with it ) i mainly give my buns a hay diet and herb diet with small amount of pellets, i need to know which to give in moderation (ie becuase of too high a calcium content)and which i can give lots of, i think it would be a great help to others as well

CALCIUM - You can kill with kindness!!

As an occasional treat I will buy my buns curly kale (usually on offer as its expensive). Its also nice for humans - steamed or boiled like cabbage. But again it is very high in calcium so must be a rare treat. Rabbits milk drops also have high levels of calcium.
Calcium is a serious problem as it causes calcium deposits (crystals - think lime scale) to build in their bladdders, the crystals work their way into the urethra (wee wee tunnel) causing discomfort and bleeding.
I learned this the hard way within eighteen months of having my two girls Smudge & Tux. I gave them lots of kale and milk drops and i lived in a hard water area. One day I saw blood in Smudges wee, she had to have a general aneasthetic and her bladder flushed. The discomfort she must have been in was awful and to add insult to injury...it cost £250! That was approx 8 years ago, so with inflation I hate to think what it would cost now. I got insurance quick smart, cause I knew Tux was next. My buns went from 5milk drops a day, (spoiled) to 5 a week. And kale rarely. They never had any more issues from then til their final days. Bless their furry ears.
So everything in moderation. These days I only have Harley and he has no shop bought treats but has hay and pellet in his hutch at all times. Grass and dandelions and fast as they grow, carrots, red apples and celery regularly and sometimes dried wholemeal/brown bread and cabbage/cauliflower hearts/leaves. The fruit and veg I restrict to no more than one of each a day. This will always depends on the quantity they are used to. I have always been advised never to give lettuce, altho someone gave my buns a little romaine once and no harm done. :)
And always give when fresh. My G'dad gave my childhood rabbit veg that was passed its best while we were on holiday, fortunately we came home and got to the vets in time to save her. I dont know who felt worse G'dad or the bun. :love:
These are just my experiences.

Sainsburys have a special offer on their baby leaf salad at the moment - two bags for £1.

Back