• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

concerned about minstrel - been to vets

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
she seems very sleepy just lately and seems to spend a lot of time hiding and dozing in the big cardboard tunnel or the little wooden run shelter.

this morning hubby and i had our breakfast in the garden while the buns had theirs, but not long after they'd eaten, minstrel was dozing off in the corner, but she kept doing these funny little head jerks. hubby wondered if she coukld be tooth grinding, but couldn't hear anything.

when i cleaned them out a bit later she seemed bright enough (although she's been super skittish since holiday boarding and hides a lot when i go in the run), but after i put the new hay in she sneezed and then sat there doing the funny little head jerks, but this time there was a funny noise like she had a tickle in her nose or throat.

could it be just hay dust?? she's eating fine and is lively enough around meal times, its just the rest of the time she seems to sleep. i know bunnies do sleep a lot during the day, but in comparison to cadbury she seems excessive.

i have bought a new chew toy in case she's bored, and i just hope its not signs of an underlying problem :?

Last edited:
Oh dear.. hope Minstrel is ok. I assume you havent noticed any signs of discharge from her nose? Could be worth getting her checked out just to be sure if you do think she isnt right. Does she have dental problems at all? I guess from your post that eating and pooing is still ok though

Oh dear.. hope Minstrel is ok. I assume you havent noticed any signs of discharge from her nose? Could be worth getting her checked out just to be sure if you do think she isnt right. Does she have dental problems at all? I guess from your post that eating and pooing is still ok though

I was going to ask about discharge. I would get her checked out as it sounds like she is sneezing, so could have a bit of snuffles. Check to see if her paws are damp or discoloured as they wipe their nose on them meaning the nose may look clear.

My buns love having a doze in the sun while they're in their run - so could be that? But I would also check for discharge x

Yeah she keeps sneezing and doing this funny little head jerking pretty much all the time, but it's only been in the past 24 hrs. Haven't noticed any discharge or wet paws, although she had a sneeze earlier this evening and soon afterwards was washing her face :? Still eating and pooing fine, altho someone had scatter pooed all over the run rather than in the litter tray :roll: which is a little unusual.

will keep an eye on her tomorrow and try and get her in the vets monday

thanks for your replies

I've seen buns do little head jerks when they're having difficulty breathing because their lungs are filled with fluid, and also when they have hiccups (well I presume they're hiccups because they go away quickly).

I think Jane would be a good person to ask...perhaps you could put FAO Jack's Jane in the title or something?

Try not to worry yourself. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. If you've changed hay batches it might just be irritating her nose. :)

no, it's the same hay brand. is it likely she could have a pollen/grass allergy? the pollen count here is very high at the moment - hubby is terrible with his hayfever

Try not to worry...

I would just see how she does tomorrow and as long as she is eating and drinking she should be ok to just take to the vet on Monday. Sneezing can be a symptom of lots of things, respiratory problems, dental problems or simply allergies. Def have the vet check her teeth though.

My bridge bun had dental issues but also developed sneezing fits with no nasal discharge. She had x-rays done frequently and we never found the exact cause, she had no roots growing into her nasal passages, no sign of infection so we put it down to allergies. She sneezed very frequently too :?

Sorry, I did not see this yesterday

If Minstrel keeps sneezing and you have noticed that she is quieter than normal then its time for a trip to the Vet. The head twitching could have many causes including those of a neurological origin but without actually examining the Bun its impossible to say exactly what is going on.

Buns are prey animals and therefore hide signs of illness. So if you are actually noticing symptoms, however vague, its always best to err on the side of caution and get the Bun examined by a Vet ASAP. Quite often a Bun will only stop eating once they are very poorly. So even though Minstrel is still eating the 'symptoms' she is displaying need investigation. With Buns catching a problem early is really important.

Good luck and please keep us updated

Janex :)

Thanks for replying Jane :)

Haven't seen her sneeze today, but she keeps doing the little head jerk and making the funny little hiccup, sneezy type noise.

she ate her breakfast fine but then has been hiding in her tunnel looking sorry for herself. put a fresh pile of hay down in front of her and she happily munched on that.

I will take her to vets tomorrow as she's certainly not right. I'm wondering if its more a chest type infection as she doesn't appear to be sneezing frequently :?

From what you're discribing, I still think it sounds like it could be her lungs. Although I know it's not easy to convey in words rather than seeing it for yourself.

Thanks for replying Jane :)

Haven't seen her sneeze today, but she keeps doing the little head jerk and making the funny little hiccup, sneezy type noise.

she ate her breakfast fine but then has been hiding in her tunnel looking sorry for herself. put a fresh pile of hay down in front of her and she happily munched on that.

I will take her to vets tomorrow as she's certainly not right. I'm wondering if its more a chest type infection as she doesn't appear to be sneezing frequently :?

Dry sneezes and lethargy can indicate a lower respiratory tract problem or a heart problem. Good luck at the Vets tomorrow

Janex

It's so bizarre! she's scoffing her dinner, although she sneezed a pellet out while she was eating it, bless her, but the little head jerks and clicky/hiccuppy noise is constant. it was quite violent middle of this afternoon when i was watching her out of the window and hubby and i considered calling the emergency vet, but then it seemed to settle although not stop. she did do a fair bit of hiding in her tunnel again as well.

when left to it she sits there quietly, dozing seeming discomfitted, but will come running over if you have food :?

mon am.
ate her breakfast fine and although not doing the head jerking as much she still doesn't seem right. quite dozy after eating, reminded me of a person who hasn't slept well for a few nights and is feeling run down :(. will phone vets shortly

Last edited:
been to vets and she was thoroughally checked over, but vet couldn't find anything obvious. she stopped doing the head jerking as soon as i put her in the carrier :roll:. she's on a very small course of baytril for a few days and we're going back on thurs for a check up, but if there's no improvment they'll prob give her an anaesthetic to properly check in her mouth.

since she's been home she's been very bright and eating fine although still doing the head jerk but not constantly

:?

been to vets and she was thoroughally checked over, but vet couldn't find anything obvious. she stopped doing the head jerking as soon as i put her in the carrier :roll:. she's on a very small course of baytril for a few days and we're going back on thurs for a check up, but if there's no improvment they'll prob give her an anaesthetic to properly check in her mouth.

since she's been home she's been very bright and eating fine although still doing the head jerk but not constantly

:?

Do you have a videocam/phonecam that you could record her strange head-jerks on. Then you could show the Vet when you go back on Thursday

Janex

Back