• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Babys lost mum...any advice?

scarlet

New Kit
My poor rabbit Daisey just died from an unknown cause she was only 2 years old, however left behind are 4 5week old babies.

They are eating rabbit food but are there any other supplements i should be giving them to ensure they are healthy?

I am really upset by it all but need to now make Daisey proud by bringing these buns up happy and healthy.

Also is it safe to mix them with them with there dad?

Aw, sorry to hear about Daisy :cry:

I would probably leave babies in their existing hutch, and feed them as normal (no greens though, unless they're used to them).

You could feed them a probiotic supplement like fibreplex or avi-pro

I wouldn't introduce them to dad because he might turn aggressive with them.

Try putting up a bottle of Lactol puppy milk for extra vitamins.
i always put one up for the mum and the babies.
You shouldnt have any problems at 5 weeks without mum, but i wouldnt put them with dad.

thanks for your help, im thinking of maybe moving them inside for warmth.

Will i ever be able to mix the babes with dad?

they are 3 gils and 1 boy! i really do not want to rehome them as i know with me they will get the right care and attention.

It was Daiseys first litter so the vet has said it could be complications of birth or a infection she caught from giving birth although she was very lucky if this is the case to have supported the babes for as long as 5 weeks!

Duke the dad came from a friend who could no longer look after him any more, the same old story bought for kids, kids got bored! I was silly to not have got him neutured i kept the two seperate but he escaped:shock:

I wouldn't give them any supplements as 5weeks old is enough to eat all solids and drink water mum would naturally wean them herself at this point just make sure they have hay, pellets and water at all times as for introducing him with the kits I would have a go for it but if you feel he may be aggressive at first put them in neutral territory and put them all in while he has a snack like some veg or something that way he won't want to mess with them when they are in if all goes well there try it in his hutch but keep an eye on them all my kits live with their fathers before they are sold that way they get to spend some time with daddy :D if you need any more help you can pm me or post either way see you hope all goes well:wave:

I don't think you need to move them inside, they can huddle together for warmth. Perhaps just cover the hutch at night. The important thing is to not introduce too many changes at once. They've already lost their mum, so try to keep everything else normal.

Thank you so much i have ordered some fibreplex but they seem to be doing fine. I put my hot water bottle in with them which has a soft fluffy rabbit cover, in the mornings they are all cuddled up next to it, its so adorable but does make me very sad :(

They are still ouside as the weather has been lovely, and they are running about happily without a care in the world.

I better name them now :)

Back