• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's wrong with my rabbit!

Carob

Mama Doe
I wondered if anyone might have an idea about what is wrong with one of our rabbits? Ever since we have had her she has been a bit of a wee'er and does not use her litter tray so consequently I am cleaning her out every day. Previous owner has said that when she got the rabbit spayed she asked vet to check Bunny's insides and no problem was found Bunny had also been put on Panacur as a precaution ; lately it seems Bunny's weeing has got worse to the point where she is constantly stained so we took her to the vets and we were given a shampoo to clean her everyday which has helped a little, but recently I did not clean her for 3 days to give her bottom a rest but when we bum-checked her last night she was stained again so this morning we have washed her again. She is also very thin and is starting to lose fur on the tail and on the inside of her hind legs though the skin is not red and there are no maggots on her. All in all I do not know what is wrong with her our other rabbit is fine. With regards to her weeing the vet said stop all green veg but I'm worried about this as I 'm trying to get her to put on weight.
Does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong with her?

p.s she is pooing ok and eating still!

I'm no expert on waterwork complaints but it sounds to me like she has an infection or problem in that area. Has your vet run any tests/taken samples to see if there is an infection? If not, I'd be seeking a second opinion, this link may help: http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/system/FAVSearch.asp?NodeID=89660.

I wouldn't have thought stopping green veg would have been much help really either, unless they mean to reduce calcium intake.

I would get your rabbit to a rabbit savvy vet today and ask for this to be investigated further. I hope things get better soon.

Hope your bunny gets better soon. My suggestions would be to make the whole of her area a litter tray (even if this means reducing her area for a few days.) Put something absorbent in the bottom of the litter tray such as wood based cat pellets or megazorb and then put a good layer of hay on top.

Hopefully as your bunny wee's she will not sit in it as the litter will absorb it and the hay will be another barrier between her urine and herself.

Having hay all around her will hopefully encourage her to eat more and food which is best for her. (hay). You could also increase the amount of pellets she has as too many pellets can cause a bunny to be overweight.

If your vet has said no greens I would go along with that, but also agree that urine tests would be a good idea to rule out infections.

Has the vet given you a cream to put on her skin where the fur is going? I think Sudocreme is safe but I'm not 100% sure - best ask your vet what barrier cream you can use to stop the skin becoming very sore.

Really hope things improve for you both,

Maria x

Last edited:
how old is bun? is she incontinant? or it could be a bladder or kidney infection. she could be diabetic... um there are quite a few things...defo go with suggestion of making her whole hutch absorbant...layer of paper...carefresh/other absorbant...think layer of hay the wee runs down in through the hay and is soaked up therefore she not sat in it....also how big a cage/area is she in...ti could be that she hassnt got room to get away from it? (sorry if she is in a huge enclosure jsut had to ask) also i would try and only bathe her every few days and rather than bunny shampoo which can be quite harsh on ther skin and fur when used everyday try just warm water and ensure its fully dry before you put her back down.... another thing you could try (not sure if would work is getting a friend as they might help her clean herself? hope she ok.

I would as others have said get your vet to do a urine and or blood test. :) I hope she improves soon.

Thankyou for your replies, I took her to the vets this morning and he has given me antibiotics and also Panacur as he is not sure what is wrong as he said it could be one of many things so we are going to try those and see what happens, he still does not want me to feed her any green veg for a while.

Also to tell if she's dehydrated very gently pull her fur away from her if it pulls away easily and is supple she is not dehydrated if it feels tight and won't come away and her fur looks like its sticking up then she's dehydrated that will give you a good idea as to whether she has an infection. Hope she gets better:wave:

Back