• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new hutch, neutering and new bunny advice

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
Hi! :wave:

We have just bought my rabbit Cookie a bigger hutch.He isn't in it yet (it stinks cos it's new).We intend on putting his old hutch in the shed and the new one outside.The shed will be split in two so that we can still keep my daughters bike in there and so that Cookie has somewhere dry to excercise when it's raining.The outside hutch will be inside a run which my other half is currently building.We are going to cut a hole in the shed and put a bit of pipe in so that he can go in or out.At the moment Cookie is a bit too small for my vet to neuter but he will be getting done as soon as possible cause we want to get him a friend.My question is when should I put Cookie in his new hutch? Should I do it now, wait till he's done or wait till I get him a friend?

Hello :wave:
I would put him straight in there as he will need somewhere familiar after his neuter for his recovery. Plus as it is the hutch you have chosen for him it is presumably better than the other hutch.

When it comes to bonding neutral territory is important but a quick wash with diluted white vinegar is usually enough to make the hutch feel new and neutral again. :D

Maria x

great link! thanks very much. My vet told me that a day or two before Cookie gets done I should bring him inside to a quiet room and keep him there for a few days after he's done to keep an eye on him.

That's great advice too, just so long as he is settled and secure in his environment. :D

You never know - once you ave a bunny in the house you might not want him to go back outside. ;):lol::lol:

Maria x

Cookie definatly won't be staying inside - got 3 cats - Monty 11, Sammy 9 and Salem 6. I wouldn't take the risk - Monty is a *****. I have to keep her away from Salem (who is built like a tank) cos she hates him. When we had our German Shepherd she used to attack her as well.

Back