• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much bigger?

weeble

I have recently got two baby dutch harlequin rabbits, the first rabbits I have had since I was a child. In the time I have had them they have grown a lot as expected and I have seen the parents so I know how big they will get but I am just wondering at what age do rabbits stop growing? Also I have recently moved them onto paving slabs rather than the lawn as they were digging large holes - is this ok for them? Sorry if they are naive question but I am a bit of a novice!:D

hello! :wave:

I'm no expert, but I think bunnies are generally fully grown for definite by about 5-6 months at the latest. How old are your buns?

I think that the hutch on the paving slabs is fine, my bunny is the same when he is outside. I think as long as they have an 'upstairs' or somewhere they can get off the cold ground if they want to, they should be fine.

my bunny is an indoor bunny tho, so I'm not sure exactly about the favourable outdoor housing set ups.

This thread might be quite helpful to you tho http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66961

as it has links to pictures of members housing set ups :thumb:

EDIT to add that if you've moved them off the grass, it might be worth keeping an eye on their hay, and making sure they have enough, as they'll probably eat more without unlimited access to grass that they once had.

Also, if you have room, and they like to dig, you could possibly add a carboard box filled with hay/shredded paper for them to dig in? My rocky loves these!!

Last edited:
They are 4 months so they have a bit more growing time yet. they have a hutch they can go into which has hay pellets and veg in during the day (they ave a night hutch too) and I give them extra grass and toys and boxes etc. tbh the digging didnt really bother me but the house is up for sale at the mo and i thought holes might put people off

Last edited:
Hiya :wave:

Bunnies continue to grow until around 6 months - sometimes up to 10 months. They will be fine on slabs - my buns are on slabs and still enjoy it there, we also have a seperate run so we can take them out on nice days on grass, put a towel over one side and a hidey-hole so they can keep cool.

They also LOVE running on the slabs and can get to quite high speeds. I put alot of hay in one of their hutch compartments so they can dig a little x

They are 4 months so they have a bit more growing time yet. they have a hutch they can go into which has hay pellets and veg in during the day (they ave a night hutch too) and I give them extra grass and toys and boxes etc. tbh the digging didnt really bother me but the house is up for sale at the mo and i thought holes might put people off

That sounds fine then! :D btw what are hay pellets? Is that just the food pellets ie excel type of pellets or are they different?

Back