• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch covers - anyone make their own?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
All the covers that are specifically made for certain hutches seem so expensive! Does anyone know anywhere that sells more reasonably priced ones? Or do people make something themselves?

hiya im going to be making a new hutch cover for the new buns hutch tomorro, we get realy heavy pvc type fabric thats used on high sided trucks and i sew it, have to use reinforced needles tho!! will take a pic of the covers

I have found a place on ebay that makes them to order for your individual hutch - they are fairly expensive though. I can send you a link if you want?

I just bought an excessively big tarpaulin from Robert Dyas, that's folded over several times and has a car windscreen sun reflector thing slotted in it when it's cold :)

Any links or pics would be great, up to now we have been using clear tarpaulin but only used this loosely over the front rather than covering the whole hutches as I'm worried there won;t be enough ventilation if the whole thing is covered. I am researching to see if we can come up with anything better.

I have both a hutch cover for my Lazybones hutch (brand made) and I tarpaulin for my larger hutch..

I find the Tarpaulin much better, but always secure it with hooks through the holes of the tarp fixed onto the hutch and make sure you have bolts rather than swivels on your hutch doors x x

:wave:. i use tarpaulins over the actual hutches and then have clear shower curtains over the fronts ( which i can roll up when its dry ). in the winter i put old duvets/sleeping bags under the tarpaulin if its really cold. hope this helps. x:)

when we had bad rain it blew into the front of my hutch and soaked it all so for emergency until i could get a cover i used my daughters plastic green house cover.
i went to my local shop and they had a barbeque trolley cover there for £2.99 so i bought it,brought it home and it fitted like a glove with plenty of room for ventilation and no more rain gets in...happy dry buns now rain hail or shine!!

We get ours from a guy on Ebay who makes to measure. He made us a 6ft 6 x 6ft 6 waterproof one for £40 and a flyscreen one for £23. I thought that was a really good price and he gets our business for all our hutch covers now.

ive got a 2 storey hutch i dont about your cage, but i stapled bubble wrap round the 3 sides then stapled grow bags cut along the side and bottom and opened out i mainly did this as the roof was slightly leaky and didnt have funds at the time to re felt it, and so the roof and three sides have been stapled over the bubblewrap i didnt staple on the roof as i didnt want to cause more holes in the roof, but then its been so good ive left it, in wet weather i just put a piece of wood on the roof so it overlapps the front bit (where they can look out) depending on which way the winds blowing the rain doesnt seem to get in (note this doesnt work all the time) but my hutch is in a semi sheltered position, but if the weathers really bad i have spare bags and they cover the front (except the bit where they look out) so the hutch stays dry the whole time, doesnt look great but then bunnies dont really care what there cage looks like as long as they are warm and dry, if i can improvise i will, i would rather save the money aside for surprise vets fees and food and hay

We get ours from a guy on Ebay who makes to measure. He made us a 6ft 6 x 6ft 6 waterproof one for £40 and a flyscreen one for £23. I thought that was a really good price and he gets our business for all our hutch covers now.

ooohh ...could we have pics and contact details please :shock:

i need to buy somethink for my hutch i have a towle over mine at the mo but need to get somethink before the bad weather starts someone said about a bench over is this ok do they get air in all right

Back