• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive urinating

gkf9

Warren Scout
Hi. Our rabbit is about 6 months old, we've had him for 3 months.
He had been using his litter tray since day one, but over the last few days has started weeing everywhere. He's left large puddles and lots of little drips, not just every so often, its almost constant.

Could you advise me if you think this is just because he is maturing or could he have some sort of infection that means he doesn't know when he's doing it?

Males often do start marking everywhere when they reach maturity, but if he is weeing constantly it might mean that he has a urinary tract infection (UTI). Your vet will be able to tell you for sure. A UTI is usually pretty easy to clear up with a course of antibiotics.

It might also be worth giving him a corse of panacur in case the incontinence is caused by E cuniculi

Hi :)

I think you should take your Bun to the Vet for a check-up. If he is actually passing excessive amounts of urine as opposed to the 'normal' spraying a Buck will do on reaching puberty then their *might* be a problem. Particularly if he is also drinking a lot.
Whilst at the Vets you can also discuss getting your Bun neutered

Janex :)

I recently had the same problem with my very well trained 8 month old, neutered house bunny. It seemed like he just couldn't control it.

The vet treated it as a urinary tract infection (aka cystitis) which included a weeks course of antibiotics, pain relief and probiotic.

cleared it up a treat. The vet also asked if his wee was sludgy at all as this can be a sign of too much calcium in his diet (from too much veg/pellets) and felt his bladder for stones.

Thanks for your replies. We are going on holiday in the morning and he is staying with relatives, so we have asked then to keep an eye on him but he seemed to be slightly better tonight.

They will take him to vets if it continues.

Thanks again

I had the same problem.....turned out to be Ec related. Vet treated for both urinary infection with 2 weeks of baytril first which had only minimal effect and then panacur for 28 days for EC http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo10.html. That stopped it but I still need to worm often stop it coming back.

If your bun has started drinking excessivly and looks like it's loosing bladder control rathen than just hormonal spraying you must get your rellies to take him to the vet. If it is a UI, thats really painful and if it is EC, if not treated can lead to death of the rabbit.

There are a few other causes of excessive drinking urination, all of which are quite serious and should be checked out.

Last edited:
Back