• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cecal poo - when do they realise?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

Lola is doing cecal poos - and I know she should be eating these as they are full of nutrition but she does not seem to be - when do they realise that thye need to eat them - and is there anything I should do to encourage her?

Thank you!

my new baby bun is doing this, have only had her 2 days though so im just keeping an eye 2 see what she does

Sometimes if bunnies are overweight or older and less supple they have difficulty in reaching their poops but I guess this doesn't apply to Lola!

It is possible her diet is too rich for her and she is producing too many caecs. This happened with Barney and I eventually realised his pellets (Excel Junior) were the cause. He fared no better with SS and when I cut the pellets out altogether the excess caecs disappeared. He was then fine with Oxbow Bunny Basisc T which is timothy hay based as opposed to alfalfa. There are other forum members who have bunnies who had problems with Excel.

The pellets may not be the cause of excess caecs tho with Lola, there may be something else in her diet she is sensitive too. What food is she eating at the moment?

Generally if they are not eating their cecal poops it means they are getting too much protein and nutrients already, and they simply don't need to consume any more.

I would try to cut back the pellets just a little to see if this helps :)

What pellets do you feed? Some can cause this more than others, like excel junior and dwarf as it's quite rich in oils.

Mine have the same problem, and they alternate between excell and russell junior. Maybe I will try something different... tired of walking in squidgy poop!

Thanks folks.

I feed Lola Excel, and hay. She does have the occasional spinach leaf and also herbs she robs from my herb garden.

I have heard Excel aint the best for her - so any other pellets to be recommended?

Thank you again x x

Science Selective (made by Supreme) is very popular and also a lot of members use Allen and Page (tho I think this is harder to source).

I have been using Oxbow T since Barney had probs and all our bunnies seem to thrive on it. It is more expensive than SS tho so am considering swapping to SS now we have 6 bunsters. If you do decide to change pellets then it needs to be done gradually so Lola's tummy can adjust to the change

Back