• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

carpet in hutches/pens/

getlaced

Alpha Buck
hi....the older of the new buns has a large three tiered hutch, the top tier is where she has her food, there wasnt any sawdust or hay/straw etc on this level when she came to us so iv just carried on with this, however i have seen some pics wher ppl have put carpet in so they have sumthing nice to stand on.. i would like to try this as she does not do her toileting in this area but does like to lie in this bit alot, im just wondering whether anyone else has done this?

All my bunnies are litter trained and I use carpet mats and rugs. Most carpet sellers give away their old samples :) I use rugs in the playhouses and mostly carpet mats in the hutches. They have big underbed storage boxes with newspapers, litter and hay in for pooping, weeing etc in :) Car boots are great to get the cotton childrens type rugs from :)

Last edited:
We put carpet on the 'shelf' that the buns jump up/down onto to access the other level. We got rid of the ramps a long time ago as we found they prefer the shelf approach and often flop on the shelf as well.

We have tried putting an area of carpet down for the two groups we have as well but they just pee all over it. :roll: Guess it depends on the bun.

Carpet is abrasive so if your bun is prone to sore hocks then I would avoid it. :)

Maria x

We put carpet on the 'shelf' that the buns jump up/down onto to access the other level. We got rid of the ramps a long time ago as we found they prefer the shelf approach and often flop on the shelf as well.

We have tried putting an area of carpet down for the two groups we have as well but they just pee all over it. :roll: Guess it depends on the bun.

Carpet is abrasive so if your bun is prone to sore hocks then I would avoid it. :)

Maria x

That's what i am afraid of if i put carpent down my bunny will just pee on it. Right now she uses her litterbox in the cage. I put down those mats but she just tears them up i'm tired of buying them.

Back