• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single Bunny, Is it fair?

twinklejake

Young Bun
Hi,
As Ive recently posted, we adopted Romeo a few days ago and he is soooo fab! :love::love::love:

He is almost 2. He is a house bunny, so is around humans all day. He has free run of our lounge and only goes in his hutch when I go to bed. He love cuddles, our settee and the TV! :lol:

My question is- is he missing out being a single bunny? Would he benefit from having a girlfriend/wife? Or is human company enough?

He has been neutered today, so no worries there.

I know some bunnies have to be single, but I want him to have the best, happiest life possible.
Any thoughts and advice gratefully recieved

For an indoor bunny that gets lots of attention I think it's okay. He clearly thinks of you as his friends and if he seems happy then I think there is nothing to worry about.

For an outdoor bunny I don't think it's okay, unless absolutely necessary

I have 2 housebuns, although they should be playhouse buns once I finish it! Personally, I'm glad we have 2 as I would feel really guilty when I'm not here, plus they're very active when I'm in bed, so I wouldn't be good company! It's lovely to watch how they get on so well. You could always take him for some speed dating if you have a rescue near, then he can let you know ! :D

I think two bunnies are almost always better then one. Even house bunnies need a rabbit friend to hang with when they're on their own. A good rescue centre should be able to help you out.

:wave: I've had my little monster since he was a baby and I'm lucky enough to be able to spend most hours of the day with him, the only time he's properly alone is at night when we are asleep.

I know he's happy as he is but seeing bunny relationships on here, I know I could never really be as good a companion as a furry, whiskered friend! Sure, I get on all fours and pretend to share hay and hop about :oops: but I'm sure he just thinks I'm nuts! :lol:

It's weighing up the pro's and con's really, good luck with whatever you decide!

Buster is a single housebun because my health took a turn for the worse after I got him and now I can't work at the weekends so I can't afford to vaccinate, neuter, micro chip or feed another therefore in fairness to Buster I just have him. Saying that we live in my parents Bungalow and he has more or less free range apart from if we are out (saftey).

After losing my previous bun I decided I had to get more than 1 as I wanted a companion for my bun - I haven't bonded them yet as they're still young and un-neutered. I got them out once together when they were 8 weeks and was really sweet to see them enjoying each others company.

They're both outdoor buns primarily because my mother disagrees with keeping pets and would never allow me to bring them inside - so I have no choice :( as soon as I've left home I want to introduce them inside..

I would only do it if I could afford it and if they were outdoors as they thrive on company.

Back