• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideal Weight

Keyzzee

Warren Scout
Hi Can someone give me some advice regarding the ideal weight for my bunnies, I have 4 which are english spot crosses, two are 5 months old and are still growing so not too concerned about them at the minute. My other two are a little over a year, they are I would say about medium size, they weigh 2.7 kg approx each, I can feel their spines when I stroke them, not massively or anything like that, but they seem nicely rounded around the tums, they dont seem to have any trouble cleaning themselves, but tutti the girl has a massive dewlap, its not so noticeable when shes running around etc, but when she settles down for a cuddle etc, her face practically disappears into it, it would be funny if I wasnt concerned. Are they overweight, what should their ideal weight be and can a bunny have a dewlap which she rests her chin on. My vet weighed them a couple of weeks ago, when they had their jabs and said that they were fine, but Im not convinced. help.......:?

is she neutered? If not then that isn't unusual. If she is neutered then if it is absolutely enourmous then she may be overweight but then again I think some bunnys are like hoomans and carry their weight in different places. My honey for example is definatly not overweight but she has bingo wings. Sooty (alot thinner than in that photo) has a j-lo bum and rosie a budda tummy. They are all perfect weights though.

Any photo? would be easier to tell that way.

Hi, Im sorry I dont know how to post a picture, she's not neutered just yet but will be getting done in the next few months. I mean she seems healthy enough, shiny coat etc, when she's sat down I can see under her etc and she is a bit fluffy in the neck area, but she does look like she's got an elizabeth ruff on when shes relaxed.

Back