• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does a breeder have the right

Tonyh

Young Bun
Hi all,
I bought an adult mini lop recently from a show breeder. Now here is the situation the bun was pregnant but the breeder didnt know until she handled her, 5 seconds after finding out sold her to me for £20. I have had this bun for a week now. Now she has kindled she is demanding that i give her a doe from the litter.
I have no problems giving her a doe as i know its going o a good home but will she really have a right to demand instead of just asking politley like any normal person would.

Regards
Tony

Please, please, please do not give her one of your buns, the bun will have a solitary life as a breeding machine, there are over 33000 rabbits in rescue and this breeder doesn't sound responsible and is just adding to the problem. She has no right what so ever to your buns.

Firstly I think it's appalling she sold you a pregnant doe who kindled within a week - surely a breeder should know if a doe has been mated?

Secondly I don't think she has any right whatsoever to demand you hand over a baby, she sold her to you and at that point relinquished any rights over the doe or the babies. You would be giving a doe to her to be used to breed further babies and personally I wouldn't do that.

10000000000000% behind SOAD.
But we do not know the full circumstances of the situations.
Say to the breeder that the rabbits are now fully yours and he has no right to demand one of you, he'll have to pay.. only say that if you think it'll be better off there.
But i've only said that off what you've said and personally i'd tell him to **** off!

Please, please, please do not give her one of your buns, the bun will have a solitary life as a breeding machine, there are over 33000 rabbits in rescue and this breeder doesn't sound responsible and is just adding to the problem. She has no right what so ever to your buns.

Totally agree with this. She doesn't want the doe as a family pet but as a breeding machine :(

Apart from the moral issue of 'breeding machine' which I agree entirely with, I would say unless some sort of terms and conditions were imposed the breeder has no right to have a doe from the litter. I find it quite cheeky that they want the doe giving as well. You paid for the rabbit you got from them, you've done the hard work with the kits.

But no, please think carefully before giving one back, you have no obligation to do so:(

Any breeder who would sell a doe so close to giving birth isn't a good breeder (or a good human being!). I doubt any bunny you gave her would have a good life :(

The "goods" were sold as seen, she can't demand "goods" which are no longer hers. Thats the way I see it.

Even if she said it was discussed at the time, if there was no legal contract saying you would return one bunny, I wouldn't. Her only recourse would be the small claims court and without a signed document she would lose. Tree has said that this bunny will be bred from and do you not want a loving pet home for the offspring of your bunny, where she is loved and gets lots of attention.

I agree with everyone else- she has no right over the baby, please do not let her have one. You can advertise the babies on Rabbit Rehome when the time comes.

:shock:

She sold you the doe and the kits she was carrying, she has no right :evil:

If you can't keep the kits, perhaps you can advertise them on RU and RR so that they can find loving homes as pets, not a breeding machine as SOAD has mentioned :)

No legally she has no right. The bunny was sold as seen and you have already completed the contract before she realised the bunny was pregnant. I would tell her you have sort legal advice and have been told she has no legal right to the babies therefore you feel it in the best interests of the doe to rehome the babies yourself and it's not open for discussion. :evil:

Thank you everyone for letting me know what my options are and they wont be getting one. I took these rabbits on as pets and thats exactly how i want these kits to be brought up. I will be keeping two of them as it would be selfish of me to keep them all due to space IE amount of room they would have to roam freely. When its time for them to g i will be making sure they are going to good homes they will always have the option of briging them back to me aswell so they in theory would never be dumped (even if i had to pay to get them back). I will place the remaining three on here to ensure they find the best of habitats.

Once again Thanks to everyone who gave me two minutes to ensure i could do the right thing by the rabbits and not by someone elses GREEED.

Regards
Tony

Did you buy the doe as a pet or for breeding?

Its a fairly typical exchange between breeders, 'I'll sell you a mated doe but I want a baby back' or 'I'll mate your doe for you but I want a baby back in return'. Its in lieu of the 'stud fee' as it were. So you giving a baby back is a fairly expected response, but she has no right to demand it.

However if she was sold to you as a pet then she has no right to demand anything from you at all. Has she actually 'demanded' though - thats quite a strong term? Perhaps she's just said 'I'll have a baby back' which to me would be meant as 'If you don't want them all I'll have one back'.

Did you know she was pregnant before you bought her? And you were happy to buy her knowing she was pregnant? If you weren't happy and this doe was thrust upon you then may I suggest you report the breeder to the Investigations Committee of the BRC - at the very least they'll send her a letter which may make her rethink her rehoming policies.

Did you buy the doe as a pet or for breeding?

Its a fairly typical exchange between breeders, 'I'll sell you a mated doe but I want a baby back' or 'I'll mate your doe for you but I want a baby back in return'. Its in lieu of the 'stud fee' as it were. So you giving a baby back is a fairly expected response, but she has no right to demand it.

However if she was sold to you as a pet then she has no right to demand anything from you at all. Has she actually 'demanded' though - thats quite a strong term? Perhaps she's just said 'I'll have a baby back' which to me would be meant as 'If you don't want them all I'll have one back'.

Did you know she was pregnant before you bought her? And you were happy to buy her knowing she was pregnant? If you weren't happy and this doe was thrust upon you then may I suggest you report the breeder to the Investigations Committee of the BRC - at the very least they'll send her a letter which may make her rethink her rehoming policies.

Hi,
She was bought as a pet i only went for one rabbit but fell in love with the doe aswell. It wasnt until the breeder handled the doe that she knew she was pregnant (the doe was actually at least 21-24 days pregnant as i had her exactly 1 week before she kindled) which in my opinion is disgusting as the breeder musnt have handled the rabbit at all so shows its been left more than likley for that amount of time and therefor hasnt even had the correct amount of feed for a pregnant doe. The breeder still sold me the doe with no mention of wanting any of the kits. The actual wording of the sentance was you owe me a doe see you in eight weeks bye. Now i would say that sentance is both ignorant and demanding. They didnt even ask how the doe was or anything about the kits just that sentance and nothing else. I dont think the situation warrents the BRC intervention but i personally want these kits in a home where they will be looked after and loved and that is one reason i made the post on the site to see whether i could do that without fear of being sued or anything else.

hope that makes the situation a bit clearer

Tony

I don't think you have any obligation to her at all. If you aren't comfortable giving her a kit then don't. :)

i have to agree that once you handed over the money and the breeder accepted it then the bun and kits are yours end of story, is they want one they would have to buy it and thats only if you dont want to keep it yourself, there is no obligation of HAVING to give one to them unless other arrangements were made at the point of sale. i have to agree though selling a doe while pregnant and knowing it was pregnant is most irresponsiable!

She sold the bunny knowing full well she was pregnant. She sold the bunny and the kits for £20 as far as I am concerned.

She cant demand back a kit that you have already paid for (albeit that you hadnt met at that precise moment).

She sounds nasty.

Hi,
She was bought as a pet i only went for one rabbit but fell in love with the doe aswell. It wasnt until the breeder handled the doe that she knew she was pregnant (the doe was actually at least 21-24 days pregnant as i had her exactly 1 week before she kindled) which in my opinion is disgusting as the breeder musnt have handled the rabbit at all so shows its been left more than likley for that amount of time and therefor hasnt even had the correct amount of feed for a pregnant doe. The breeder still sold me the doe with no mention of wanting any of the kits. The actual wording of the sentance was you owe me a doe see you in eight weeks bye. Now i would say that sentance is both ignorant and demanding. They didnt even ask how the doe was or anything about the kits just that sentance and nothing else. I dont think the situation warrents the BRC intervention but i personally want these kits in a home where they will be looked after and loved and that is one reason i made the post on the site to see whether i could do that without fear of being sued or anything else.

hope that makes the situation a bit clearer

Tony

Sorry although its not really relevant pregnant does should NOT have their feed increased, it can make them gain weight and mean they have problems delivering. Its a common misconception that pregnant need more food but increasing their rations can actually do more harm than good.

Back