• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Liquorice not eating hay

drpengie

Wise Old Thumper
I cannot get Liquorice to eat hay and he is a dental bun. I currently use Excel with herbs and my other 3 love it. I have tried him with oat hay also and he doesn't eat that.

Put some fresh grass in and he doesn't seem to like that either.

Is there anything I can try him with?

I have the same problem with Homer, he will eat grass though. I have tried every hay under the sun!

You can get some sample bags from Hay Experts, try and cut some up and mix it with grated carrot or spray it with their favourite taste (pineapple, etc). None of it worked for me but I have heard of it working.

I also get some of the "grow your own" from Hay Experts (Barley and other stuff), it grows really quickly to about 6 inches and mine both love it. I grow it in the seed trays.

Have you tried the hay from www.dustfreehay.co.uk, oscar was never a big hay eater, but now he cant get enough. All of my buns LOVE this hay and prefer it to any other. I swear it smells that good, i wish i could eat it!!!

Email Norman and ask for a sample. I usually get the giant 25.99 bags of meadow hay, ask for the 'stalky' hay instead of the soft, i reckon its better for teeth and they seem to prefer that.

:D

Have you tried the hay from www.dustfreehay.co.uk, oscar was never a big hay eater, but now he cant get enough. All of my buns LOVE this hay and prefer it to any other. I swear it smells that good, i wish i could eat it!!!

Email Norman and ask for a sample. I usually get the giant 25.99 bags of meadow hay, ask for the 'stalky' hay instead of the soft, i reckon its better for teeth and they seem to prefer that.

:D

My buns love dust free hay too & they go mad for the american timothy hay from there as well :)

I've tried loads of different hays including dust free hay and he is just not interested. Not even in fresh grass!! :roll:

Depending on what his Dental problems are it may be that he cant eay hay/grass rather than he wont.

What are his Dental problems ?

My bun Smudge has dental problems and won't eat any sort of hay either. Although I still put some in his hutch in case he changes his mind! I don't know if it's because he doesn't like it or can't eat it. I give him fresh greens and a high fibre pellet to try and make up for it. He does eat fresh grass out in the garden though. So he's not the only bun!

Back