• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Supa Forage Excel Natural Grass & Excel Herbage

sunshine123

Young Bun
I need to get some more hay, I have been using farm hay but can't get any at moment, so my only option is P@H, I have read that their hay isn't very good so thought about the getting either Excel Forage or Excel Herbage, can these types be used as a main hay or are they only suitable for a treat, don't want to cause any upset tums. I have looked at dustfree and hayexperts but need it by tomorrow.

Any hay can be used all the time, except Alfalfa which shoukd only be given as a treat due to its high calcium content. I feed mine Readigrass by Friendly. Mine love it and they have it all the time. Both types of Excel that you mentioned are fine to feed long term and are both very good quality. Not sure about P@H, never heard anything bad and ive fed it to mine in the past with no probs. Dont see why it would be unsuitable. Farm hay can be quite dusty as its normally geared towards equine use, so you need to be aware of respiritory problems.

thanks kat g
will just go to p@h and see what they have instore, i'll get a couple of bags of different types and see what the buns prefer, where do you buy readigrass, do you use that alongside normal hay.

I use Excel Herbage timothy hay which I put on top of P@H hay - my buns have had both for nearly a year now and it's always gone in the morning :)

Hi, I feed mine the readigrass all the time. They dont really like the 'normal' hay although they do like excel forage. I get my readigrass from the local garden centre, have a look on the net tho, you should find it.

The Excel Forage is pretty naff at the moment tbh :roll:

I use it all the time, and notice last week when I went into P@H to get more that it seemed very very small and fine and very very green! Much greener than normal. Almost like cut grass.

About half of their stash was like this, so I chose the normal thicker, coarser stuff.

I told one staff member who said "yeah it's fine" then told another staff member who has bunnies himself and recognises me and he said "I wouldn't buy that personally as it looks like the stuff they scrape off the floor" :shock: Not really sure why they're selling it then?? :?

But yeah Excel Forage is normally fine :) I use it all the time

Thanks everyone,
well I got some P@H Timothy Hay and also some Excel Herbage and I must say it has gone down a treat, especially the herbage, I never bothered with the excel forage as it just looked like old grass cuttings (really tiny pieces) I might get some the next time and mix it in with the other hay just to give them a bit of variety, but the buns have acess to fresh grass each day anyway.

I've never used the P@H stuff. I have had the excel herbage stuff before but my buns werent interested in it at the time.
I get a large bale of Just Grass, chopped dried grass.. if i cant get the bale i get friendly grass in bags but the Just Grass is alot better :D
My lot have had Oxbow and Alfalfa King Timothy Hay.. they also love Oat Hay and Brome Hay.. i get them all from The Hay Experts mainly :D

Back