• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What would you want to see in your vets?

kat_g

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,
Im a vet nurse and have recently started at a new practice. i have set up bunny clinics which im pleased to say have been quite popular and i feel ive been successful in helping to improve the lives of the bunnies i have seen. i have advised people on feeding, environment, vaccination, signs of ill health, dental check and nail clip etc and sent them home with an informative pack.

However, the display board is coming up for renewal (it currently advertises the clinics), and i was wondering what you feel is a good thing to promote re bunnies at this time of year? I was thinking fly strike, what does everyone think or does anyone have a better idea? Also, if anyone has ideas for more bunny clinics relating to something in particular, please let me know!

That sounds great!

Do you know about the Rabbit Welfare Association? I think they do a vet practice membership which includes some posters/leaflets - their leaflets are great if you're looking for info to handout (you can put them up to).

Flystrike and myxi would be the main ones for this time or year. Or general hot weather things like making sure your rabbit has shade.

Food is interesting too - I think one of the food companies (either Supreme or Burgess) do a big poster with a diagram of how the digestion system works that's really interesting.

that all sounds good - thanks!!
I hve already gone into GREAT detail with anyone who will listen that bunnies need HAY. i think i must have driven some owners mad! lol Im a member of the RWA and i know their leaflets are great, however, i have devised my own rabbit pack with the following subjects - Health, Environment, Feeding, Neutering, Common health problems and Emergency problems. Included are leaflets on insurance, flystrike and vaccination. Its important not to overload people with leaflets as they tend not to read them unfortunately. The clinics last around half an hour so i really get chance to tell people as much as possible.
I think i will look to do a display on flystrike. I hope to update it every 6 weeks or so, so any other ideas greatly received - THANK YOU!!

Tamsin, your post re the feeding poster has given me an idea to do a feature on correct feeding. I was actually gonna do a display on dental disease and correct feeding would feature heavily in this.
So thats a - dental disease display (incl. feeding)
- flystrike
- vaccination

that all sounds good - thanks!!
I hve already gone into GREAT detail with anyone who will listen that bunnies need HAY. i think i must have driven some owners mad! lol Im a member of the RWA and i know their leaflets are great, however, i have devised my own rabbit pack with the following subjects - Health, Environment, Feeding, Neutering, Common health problems and Emergency problems. Included are leaflets on insurance, flystrike and vaccination. Its important not to overload people with leaflets as they tend not to read them unfortunately. The clinics last around half an hour so i really get chance to tell people as much as possible.
I think i will look to do a display on flystrike. I hope to update it every 6 weeks or so, so any other ideas greatly received - THANK YOU!!

Can I just say - You're brilliant! Keep drilling in the importance of bunny care :)
I'm still shocked at how many buns get neglected x

Rabbit pellets

Can anyone tell me if they have tried Oxbow"s 15/23 alfalfa based pellets for young rabbits please. i get my 2 new bunnies next weds 9weeks old 2 lovely little sisters, i have purchased some of these pellets but unsure as to use them as every1 here seems to mention science selective, or burgess please advice me Thanks :D

Hi there.

I wish more vets would either do a display or let their vet nurses do a display featuring rabbits. I think what you have planned sounds fantastic.

Can I ask you whereabouts your vet practise is and how bunny savvy your vets are? I would be keen to be able to recommend/suggest another practice in our area.

Helen:D

My practice is in surrey, wouldnt want to be any more specific on the net, you can pm me if you want.

In regard to the message about the alfalfa pellet by oxbow, im afraid i dont know. Ive not heard of the pellet so cant really comment im afraid. I would recommend excel myself but others use SS. At a young age, you can give your bunnies around 6/7/8 tablespoons of excel daily each, but when they have fully grown, you should reduce this to 1 tablespoon per 1Kg bodyweight per rabbit daily.

the 15/23 1s are for youngsters then i need to change over to oxbow T for adults which are timothy hay based i believe :)

the 15/23 1s are for youngsters then i need to change over to oxbow T for adults which are timothy hay based i believe :)

Yeah, sounds about right. I have tried all different pellets, but feel happier giving them these ones as they are hay based and better for my sensitive tum bunny too.

Back