• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent... My Rabbit Has Been Nibbling My Medication!!!! Help.

ribbons

Mama Doe
Hi there.

My bunnies cage has fallen from my worktop but not sure how & the cage was everywhere with my bunny & her baby loose. When the cage has fallen my pill box & other stuff has fallen also on to the floor!

I've got home to find this & noticed one of my doseuplin pills have been nibbled on. Prob about a quarter of it... What do I do?

Hi there.

My bunnies cage has fallen from my worktop but not sure how & the cage was everywhere with my bunny & her baby loose. When the cage has fallen my pill box & other stuff has fallen also on to the floor!

I've got home to find this & noticed one of my doseuplin pills have been nibbled on. Prob about a quarter of it... What do I do?

Have you checked your Bunnies over for injuries?
Are they moving about OK?

There is not much you can do re the ingesting of your medication but I would contact your Vet for advice on this.

Janex

Hi folks,

I phoned the vet & they said I am to give her plenty to eat & drink & if she becomes very sedated like flat out then to phone them... Is that ok?
The medication is used for my nerve pain but it is a form of anti depressant although thats not what I take it for...It is called Dosulepin 75mg.

Any advice much appreciated!!!:D

Have you checked your Bunnies over for injuries?
Are they moving about OK?

There is not much you can do re the ingesting of your medication but I would contact your Vet for advice on this.

Janex

They both seem fine, but I cant understand what has happend. My dogs were in their pen so not in the way to cos an accident. :shock:

Hi folks,

I phoned the vet & they said I am to give her plenty to eat & drink & if she becomes very sedated like flat out then to phone them... Is that ok?
The medication is used for my nerve pain but it is a form of anti depressant although thats not what I take it for...It is called Dosulepin 75mg.

i would have thought she'd become drowsy anyway, it has a sedative in it, doesn't it?

i'd cetainly keep an eye on her and tempt her to drink cooled boiled water from a bowl.

it must have tasted vile, poor thing!

Hi folks,

Dosulepin is a Tricyclic antidepressant. These can effect heart rhythm. I would keep a very close eye on your Rabbits and avoid stressing them out.
Removing the dog from their environment would be a good idea.

Janex

Thanks for all the advice as I say she has nibbled less than a quarter of the 75mg pill & she is eating just now. Does look sleepy.

Back