• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range?

Mine are free range in the house, but Im a wimp for the garden. They are free range when we are out there only. I know lots of people whose bunnies are outside all day and to date are fine, but I would hate a fox to come and take one and, because its possible, I don't do it. I know the bunnies would love to be out there all day and you probably have more chance of winning the lottery, than a fox coming during the day and killing one, but Im too scared.

Our Luna is free range in the house, although unfortunately cant go in our yard as we have other buns out there. Im not sure id keep her free range outdoors unless i could watch constantly because there are quite a few foxes and wild bunnies in the area

Having Luna free range indoors is amazing, shes loads better company than a cat or dog if you ask me! And no trouble at all:)

:wave:

Can you not have him free indoors then let him out in the garden on nice days and when youre about to supervise?

If it was me id get him a large run if not, just incase, to be honest. Hell still be free the majority of the time and when indoors

Exactly. It's the fear of it happening playing on my mind. He loves it outside as well as inside but when he's out there I'm just so nervous, back and forth to the door looking out for him. I really don't want to stop him being free range outside as he loves it so much, I don't know what to do.

I'd love to let mine wander around the garden but I have a large mature garden that has just too many hiding places! I have two large metal panel runs so that I can let them out in a large area but they are contained and easy to keep an eye on.

I know its discusting but foxes hate male urine...so get your partner, brother or dad to wee around your garden and your have no worry of foxes lol!

however your rabbit could have the run of the garden of the day and just lock it up securely at night. Foxes start coming out at twilight but generally dont enter a garden looking for food until night when nobody is about.

you need to alos consider are all your plants safe for your rabbit as they will try to eat whatever they can. Some garden plants are actually quite toxic!

The urban fox comes out very late at night where as in the country they come out earlier but they never hunt in the daytime.

They are generally only active 8 hours a day and this will be at dusk.

what i would suggest is just dont let them your bunnies have the run of the garden when your not home just in case.

Ours are when we are at home.

They live and have free run in the Kitchen and when it's nice and sunny ( or just not raining) we just open the back door and they hop in and out as and when they like :)

Mine are free range - for me I weigh up the pros and cons of a maybe shorter free life compared to that of a potentially longer confined life and there's just no way, after seeing them run the length of the garden, I could confine them again to a 6ft run.

One entered Jane's window in daylight and killed one of her rabbits so they are about and hunting.

Back