• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh dear

katkins

New Kit
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum but am desperate to know if anyone else out there has experienced what I have seen today.......

I have 2 female bunnies, 1 dutch called Maisy and 1 dwarf lop called Fifi. They are both around 4 months old and have been living together happily since before I got them. I love to watch them cuddling together and washing each other, they are true friends. You can imagine my horror today when I noticed Fifi chasing Maisy around like a lunatic and mounting her!!!! She was doing it at every opportunity! I've also noticed that there has been urine (I'm guessing thats what it is) sprayed everywhere, both in and out of the hutch.

People's natural reaction has obviously been 'Are you sure she's a girl?' They have both been to the vets twice in the past couple of months for their vaccinations and on both occasions were checked out by the vet to confirm they are both girls. Is it at all possible that I have a lesbian rabbit? Has anyone ever experienced this? Will it pass? Please help! Maisy (the one on the receiving end) is none too pleased about the whole experience. I'm feeling a bit distressed to say the least too!

Many thanks in advance
Kat x

Female rabbits also mount one another as a way of showing dominance. Depending on how big your bunnies are now, it sounds like they're ready to be speyed. Most experienced rabbit vets will spey once a female is over 1kg and generally the younger they're "done" the quicker they bounce back :) You will need to keep a close eye on them now though, because if one continues to pester the other there MAY be a fight causing their bond to break :(

Hello and welcome :wave:

Panic not! Fifi is not sexually confused. Bunnies will mount each other as a sign of dominance so it is perfectly normal to see a girlie participate in some un-girlie behaviour.

As your bunnies are 4 months old they will be entering their hormone driven 'teenager' period so expect the humping to possibly escalate. I would suggest you think about getting your girls spayed for several reasons. Most importantly girl bunnies have a very high rate of uterine cancer when not spayed, so spaying will prevent this from occuring. After spaying girlies (like boys) will be less of a slave to their hormones and behaviour such as mounting and nest building and phantom pregnancies will disappear. This will lead to happier and relaxed bunnies and will hopefully prevent dominance issues developing into full scale war.

Some vets are not keen on spaying girlie buns so find a vet who is experienced in spaying if you decide to do this.

I am sure you will find loads of help and advice on the forum. I have learnt so much.
Vanessa xx

Back