• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house bun owners!!

rachelsawyer

Warren Scout
hi guys

I would really like to rescue a conti giant i have seen but want to do my research first. I have only ever had dwarf lops.

I need some help please.

1st of all we have a cat, is it possible to have an indoor bun, obviously we would do introductions slowly and what would be the best way in doing this?

we would keep him in the utility room over night, what sort of size crate do we need for him?? would a 49inch be sufficent for night time not good on measurements:oops::roll: im sure i saw somewhere on here that 49 inches was okay but i dont know if its big enough for a conti??:roll:

In the day he would have the run of the utility room and kitchen until the evening when we get home. In the evenings he would be more then welcome to come in the lounge but how do you guy bunny proof your lounge with the tv cables?? otherwise he will be free range to go where he pleases!

any advice and further info qould be gratefully recieved ;)

Last edited:
not sure about the cat issue. I have two french lops who are indoor buns during winter. I let them have a giant dog bed to sleep in and a litter tray. they have the utility room at night. It is a long time to keep a big bun in a cage. Mine go out in the garden free range in the day. They have chewed through two telephone wires and our bt home hub. We now have a 50'' plasma and they are banned from the living room:lol: even though we use cable tidy and tape to cover the wires they do find a way.

i have a conti giant cross as a house bun, he has a dog crate similar in size to yours (just under 4'), we only use it at night, rest of teh time he has free roam. samsons around 5-6 months at the mo,a nd is 2'6" fully stretched out, he weighs in at 3.8 kilo, will reassess cage size depending on what size he grows to.

he use to be in teh utility room, but then mastered hudrling the barrier to teh washing machine, and as he has quite a liking fro cables (he's chewed our phone cable before now, and also the tv in the conservatory no longer has an ariel!!!) we figured it best to relocate him, so he's now in teh thrid bedroom which is animal proof - just has to share it with teh rodents!!!

Use your best judgement with the cat. Some cats are fine with house buns, others are not meant to be around prey animals as they will hunt them.

We have a housecat along with our current house bun, soon to have the other be a full fledged house bun. However, our cat is on the far far side of the submissive spectrum. He couldn't care less about the rabbits and honestly prefers to not be near them. Dubbers, our smaller bun, is extremely dominant over the cat and treats him almost like a female bun. (Marks his tail and fur when he has the chance by chinning, runs circles around him, etc) this reallllly upsets the cat, however he has access to rooms the bun does not.

hi guys thanks for the responses. Well the rabbit wouldnt have to stay in the cage at night, he could still have the full run of the utility room and kitchen during the night but the cage would be where he can go and chill in a dog bed. The cat hasnt yet brought me home a bird or mouse or anything. Thing is he can still be a bit playful. The cat would not be able to access the rabbit in the day and saying that in the evenging he prefers to be upstairs on the landing. The rabbit could have the 3rd room also as its only me and my husband in the house.

I use to bring Norris to one of friends houses with me, he had 4 cats and they were curious of Norris but as he was almost as big as them they did not bother him too much. Cats will only try and harm small bunnys, i doubt a cat would be able to do anything to a giant but be careful if the cat is playful as they tend to scratch and bite when they play and the rabbit would not like that at all. Just always keep a watchful eye if they are together, and skirt your cat with water if he gets rough with your rabbit they soon learn.

Norris use to show the cats he was boss lol!

I am getting a British Giant on Saturday,we are going to keep him in our utility room and kitchen and he has a large dog crate to sleep in,i am going to get a large run so he can be outside in nice weather and secure when i am out.I am hoping that we will have a baby gate on a couple of rooms in the house so he is safe as we have a labrador.I will let you know how we get on.I am sure that what we plan to do is right for this new bun,who is gorgeous and has no ears as his mummy removed them when he was born.Cant wait :D:love:

I am getting a British Giant on Saturday,we are going to keep him in our utility room and kitchen and he has a large dog crate to sleep in,i am going to get a large run so he can be outside in nice weather and secure when i am out.I am hoping that we will have a baby gate on a couple of rooms in the house so he is safe as we have a labrador.I will let you know how we get on.I am sure that what we plan to do is right for this new bun,who is gorgeous and has no ears as his mummy removed them when he was born.Cant wait :D:love:

aaawww you must be so excited. Bless him about his ears!!
The rabbit would be able to have full run of the garden when i am at home. run of the kitchen/diner utility room not to boast but this is a very big area, is it sufficent whilst i was at work? then like i say garden or anywhere in the house when we are home. I want to make the right choice for both the rabbit and the cat. Its really difficult.

Back