• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help my rabbits in pain

twinks22

Warren Scout
Hi everyone , so after much debating i decided to get my boy neutered , now i slightly wished i hadn't , his not dealing with the pain at all , shaking , grinding his teeth ripping paper , is there anything i can give him for the pain? thanks

Ripping paper, that's abit active if he's in pain i'd have thought, if you didn't get given anything then it might be worth calling your vet.

Hi ,its 12.30am and we called the emergency vets they said they wanted to see him immediatly then we go up to cage and his munching on cabbage. His munched a bit of carrot as well but he hasn,t drunk or pooed yet but i'm hoping its just slow progress. I am completly exhausted with worry and stress i constantly want to burst into tears i love him so much and his my best friend, i'm going to leave him to sleep and rest now will report back in the morning

we took him in at 8.30am and they rang us at 9.55am to say he had come through the operation fine and we could pick him up after 12.00pm and they didn't give us any painkillers so we assumed they'd given him some but he was obviously in a lot of pain he became quite bad tempered with me not the not the normal boy i know. We thought it was a little bit quick to pick him up really but there the vets i suppose.

I hope all's going well, i know what you are going through, i'm a bloke aged 34 and have done my crying today:cry::cry::cry::cry: as well, some men are right whimps aren't they:roll:!!!, keep your chin up.

Hiya Twinks - is he still in pain? I would contact vets again and check if there are any painkillers available..

I hope he's OK though ..

Hi everyone, took my rabbit back to the vets this morning, they reckon they'd given him painkillers to last for 48hrs, when my mum asked if she could buy some metacam, they refused saying if she gave it to him she could overdose him, she wasn't intending to give it to him straight away. The vet said it takes alot out of them with the anaesthetic and they take time to recover. He eat a tiny bit of carrot this morning, but that's it, his wee'd this morning and done a tiny poo. He hasn't touch any of his hay/pellets and he hasn't drunk any water since we took him to the vets yesterday morning. I feel really frustrated. The vets gave us a sachet of Supreme science recovery and said he thought my boy was fine. He does seem in pain even though they say his had painkillers. Can anyone suggest what to do to get him to eat. Please Please help. Thanks.

I'm glad he ate something - he might get some liquids from the carrot at least, you could try mixing in a few bits of apple into his hay or mix?
This might encourage him to eat it. I hope he gets better soon x

we gave him some of the science recovery and he loved it and did a couple more poos , we're going to get some pineapple juice as well that might help him . How much of the science recovery should i give him cause i don't know his weight so i can't tell and i don't want to overdose him? on a different matter twiggy there's nothing wrong with a man crying i personally am not keen on men who are all butch and won't cry .

we gave him some of the science recovery and he loved it and did a couple more poos , we're going to get some pineapple juice as well that might help him . How much of the science recovery should i give him cause i don't know his weight so i can't tell and i don't want to overdose him? on a different matter twiggy there's nothing wrong with a man crying i personally am not keen on men who are all butch and won't cry .

That's really good news :)

Do you know what breed he is? My buns have about 1 egg cup worth of mix as they're so small, but if yours is bigger than a mini or a dwarf would put out 2 egg cups worth of food :)

Thanks for those kind words,:roll::roll:, hope all's going ok.:wave::wave:

well his done one more poo and he went mad at the cabbage we put in and he eat some dandelion but his still not drinking , he can be quite sulky when he wants to be so we've come to the conclusion his not happy having had his bits removed and has now gone into a sulk his like this quite often but i love him we,re going to feed him some pineapple juice and see if that works i don't care if i have to force feed him i'm not giving up that easily.

His a mini lop by the way but a bit bigger than average , i'm sitting with him right now and have just noticed his grinding his teeth quite badly and pushing his back end. I'm so worried , i can't bear to look at him cause i just want to cry his my best friend i don't know what i'd do without him:cry:

His a mini lop by the way but a bit bigger than average , i'm sitting with him right now and have just noticed his grinding his teeth quite badly and pushing his back end. I'm so worried , i can't bear to look at him cause i just want to cry his my best friend i don't know what i'd do without him:cry:

Just try and make him as comfy and safe as poss - if he likes nose rubs or cheek rubs I'd do that too.

Bless him :(

From the sounds of it, I'd give him as much as he'll take. Typically they won't go and overindulge themselves when they're fresh out of the op.. Its hard to give them enough let alone too much, :lol: Are you forcefeeding? If he isn't eating solids, there's no time to waste.

Make sure you're monitoring poo's and pee's and seeing that his digestive tract is still functioning properly. Last thing you need is stasis issues :cry:

Hoping your bun continues to improve. Crue was awfully fiesty when he came home from his procedure as well.

Back