• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel Forage- Not Impressed with New Consistancy

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone else noticed that the consistancy of Excel Forage has changed? It no longer looks like stalky green hay but more like finely dried (and dusty) grass?

I'm a bit stumped as my two fussters wont eat the new variety, besides which it isn't going to help with their dental needs like the old stuff did. :(

yes my buns arent fussy eaters but wont touch the stuff i wrote to burgess and sent samples off some time ago but havnt heard anything back yet
its also loast its sweet smell

lisa

yes i noticed it changed too, its more fine chopped, i pull it out of the bag put it in the hay rack and it all falls through instead of being long stuff, like you say not as green or smells as good. :?

Not fresh/green enough for Lex & Mack :roll: but that is how the consistancy of forage used to be.

the only thing thats that green is Readygrass and even that is losing its greenness....

and onv can't be fed too often.

erm... have u tried them on Dust free at all?

xxx

yes i noticed it changed too, its more fine chopped, i pull it out of the bag put it in the hay rack and it all falls through instead of being long stuff, like you say not as green or smells as good. :?

I've noticed that :roll: I've been putting it in a bowl instead of the hayrack!

The last bag I bought was so awful the bunnies wouldn't eat it. However I bought a new bag last Saturday, and searched through the bags in the shop as some were greener than others. I eventually found a really green bag and the buns love it, so I'm thinking of taking the yukky bag back.
Jane

the only thing thats that green is Readygrass and even that is losing its greenness....

and onv can't be fed too often.

erm... have u tried them on Dust free at all?

xxx

I get the feeling you may not have seen the old style Forage, the new stuff looks like ready grass to me but poorer quality. The old forage looked like a very good quality, fresh timothy hay.

I get the feeling you may not have seen the old style Forage, the new stuff looks like ready grass to me but poorer quality. The old forage looked like a very good quality, fresh timothy hay.

i must have only seen the new stuff sooz... ive only bought it once. i didn't like it, it smelt funny so we didn't use it.. next doors buns got a treat!

:wave: i've noticed a change. i just took a bag back as it was full of thorns and wierd bit of stuffs... i managed to find one bag of normal looking Forage, the rest looked like the contents of a lawnmower!

Laura (whilst on her spacehopper) said that the last harvest was bad and we're in for a summer of rubbishy hay.... and prices might be going up too... boooo!

:wave: i've noticed a change. i just took a bag back as it was full of thorns and wierd bit of stuffs... i managed to find one bag of normal looking Forage, the rest looked like the contents of a lawnmower!
Laura (whilst on her spacehopper) said that the last harvest was bad and we're in for a summer of rubbishy hay.... and prices might be going up too... boooo!

That is exactly what it looked like, bloomin' grass cuttings. Not worth £2.99 for such a little bag anymore thats for sure :?

Hopefully this years hay will be better than last years :) Farmers have started cutting early here and may well do two harvests :) Ive found the Readigrass terrible !

Iv just used the last of my bag up and not getting anymore, went out an bought them some expensive oat wheat and barley stuff which they seem to love! as well as the fresh grass :lol: I agree though the forage stuff has gone down hill and not worth the money.

I bought a bag of forage and herbalage[is that what its called?]and neither looked much cop.Am quite worried as leaving her with a friend and not sure which to send with her.the herbalige 1shes got at mo is lovely and green but this 1ive just bought is no where near as green.oxbow is the best ti mothy hay in my opinion but the garden centre i get it from doesn't always have it.I know its expensive[£8 for a bag smaller than excel forage]but its defo worth it.

I've had exactly the same problem with the last bags I bought. Thought it was just an odd batch, but it turns out it's much wider spread. How disappointing. The short bits of hay don't stick out of the holes I made very well :(

i think hay generally from last year is rubbish, lots of people here have struggled to get decent horse hay and it is costing them a fortune. we get our hay from old farmers who don't rush into things, and didn't cut hay until september, so it is edible. i'm not sure of the nutritional content though, i've just had to up everybodies hard food to compensate. we leased 3 fields last year and hired somebody to bale it, as they weren't worried about the outcome, we ended up with 50 bales of horrible, dusty, damp stuff-its still sitting in the yard, and we can't get rid of it.
let's hope this year is better.:)

Back