• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Security Q. about sheds/playhouses

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I'm getting a bunny shed soon, but I'm a little concerned about the security aspect in regards to thieves breaking in.

I know in the daytime it would be pretty easy for thieves to see that a bunny shed doesn't contain anything valuable, but I'm a bit concerned that it might not be so obvious at night, and they could break in and let the buns out or a fox in.

We had our garage broken into recently, and it was obvious that the thieves had opened up the doors of our sheds too (they were unlocked and there are no bunnies in there).

Has anybody got any thoughts on this?

Amy

other than putting huge hefty locks on - which would jsut make it look like there were valuables inside - couldn't you put up a really obvious, prominent sign saying "<<bunny's name>> lives here" ? maybe then they wouldnt bother.

I'd thought about that, but I don't know if you'd be able to read it in the dark. :?

I really need security lighting or something, but I guess the rabbits and neighbours cats would just set it off?

other than putting huge hefty locks on - which would jsut make it look like there were valuables inside - couldn't you put up a really obvious, prominent sign saying "<<bunny's name>> lives here" ? maybe then they wouldnt bother.

Oh, I like that idea too. I thought about the obvious "no valuables are kept in here" but thought that was too obviously a sign for the theives and they would think it was a bluff.

Something subtle like cluttery has suggested might make it obvious it's for a pet without it sounding like a bluff.

I would suggest buying a couple of large Hasp and Staple locks and two large padlocks. One for the top of the door and one for the bottom.

Yeah...I guess if you make it as secure as possible, they'll need to make a lot of noise to get into the shed, which should wake us up anyway.

I'm probably worrying over nothing :roll: :lol:

We have a run which is attatched to the front door of the playhouse,so thieves wouldnt be able to get in without crawling through the run full of toys first :lol:They have a wooden sign with their names on too :D

I'd thought about that, but I don't know if you'd be able to read it in the dark. :?

I really need security lighting or something, but I guess the rabbits and neighbours cats would just set it off?

a tricky one :? Make the background as pale as possible and the writing really dark....although I likem the idea of having a run in front, or other obvious rabbity things nearby.

you cant be too careful really, people will steal owt :(

I'd say gets some padlocks, nail or screw some panels on the bottom and top of the shed door to make it more stable and buy Prikka Strips! They're use to keep unwanted visitors from climbing walls, and can use almost anywhere - they also have holes in the strips so you can nail to anything or glue :D

I have a padlock on Herb and Hollies shed but if someone really wanted to get in removing the perspex windows would be a doddle :?

Thank you for this thread as it has made me realise that I should be taking better precautions for BJ and Rosie in their shed.

When I get my shed I'm having a swinging heavy mesh/ screen door on the inside that opens inwards, then if the main door is opened the second mesh door will swing shut, also I'll be able to see if either rabbit is by the door when I open the first on, without them escaping. And it'll have better ventalitaion in warmer months, as the wooden door can be proped open. I'm having mesh covers on the windows too.

I have a spot light up over Buu and Beaus hutch. I got it in woolworths and it cost about £10 and my brother put it up for me :) It has a sensor thingy and I suppose you could put in a place that the buns wouldnt set it off. Ours isnt set off often as we dont get many other cats in the garden and mine are in at night. And if it is set off then its not a big deal, the light just comes on for a couple of minutes. Also I think if someone is trying to break into a shed at night and a light above the door suddenly comes on thats more likley to make them think twice as there is a chance they will be seen.

Also a sign that says something like 'care when opening the door, bunnies live in here' but like you said it wont be easy to read at night x

I have a big padlock on the bolt of the main door at night then i have a mesh door inside which is locked by two padlocks so hopefully any idiot thief IF they got through the first door would see through the mesh door that its my bunnies house.
Also have the big run on the side so i think it must be obvious that its got animals in not lawnmowers

I never thought about theives and the shed before :?

Could you put a sign on the shed and have a light affixed to the outside of the shed hi-lighting the sign by being angled down onto it?

When I get my shed I'm having a swinging heavy mesh/ screen door on the inside that opens inwards, then if the main door is opened the second mesh door will swing shut, also I'll be able to see if either rabbit is by the door when I open the first on, without them escaping. And it'll have better ventalitaion in warmer months, as the wooden door can be proped open. I'm having mesh covers on the windows too.

Snap.

We have mesh doors on all of our sheds that close with hasp and staple or similar. They open inwards so that even if the outer door opens the buns still aren't free. We also have mesh at the windows and we have weather screens for colder and wetter days.
IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

We have heavy metal bolts on the outside door plus a combination lock.

Mind you, I would hope that anyone looking for something to steal would see the mesh run full of toys attached and figure out what's going on.:D

Last edited:
Its a very good idea, isn't it. I like to think that I would be able to leave the top part of the door open in warmer weather, and with an inside mesh door I wouldn't have to worry about scary birds getting in an eating my rabbits.

If its possiable to worry about ANYTHING, I will.

Back