• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit going in circles

Justin

New Kit
Today my rabbit has been walking around in circles involuntarily.

it's like its brain is affected.

it's head keeps going from left to right

and it wont eat.

Its eyes also move involuntarily.

Does anybody know what is wrong with it?

that sounds just like my old bun smudge had!

he had an op on his teeth and when he came round he was never the same, if he got stressed he would run round in circles or if you stopped him from actually moving his head would still go!! when we took him to the vets a couple of days after his op to see what was wrong with him they thought that during the op he had a stroke making him do this!!

It sounds like head tilt to me - it starts off as an ear infection then gradually the bunnies head tilts sideways and has no idea where up or down is.

I shouldn't take my word for it, but wait for a few more responses x

Yeah does sound alot like head tilt. I had a rabbit years ago that had it but after some anti bios from the vet he was fine again. However sometimes it cannot be cured.

I'd go straight to the vet though.

Could be head tilt which is usually caused by the parasite EC. Has he been wormed ever? Might be a stroke.....maybe ear infection but that wouldn't expalin the eyes....

Either way you need to get him to a vet as quickly as you can as only they can make a correct diagnosis.

Get bunny to a vet asap.

My baby has head tilt, probably caused by EC. Rabbits can recover from this, but early action helps.

Kermits heads tilted, he keeps going in circles and at the early stages his eye moved (nystygmus i think its called)

Honestly, act fast and get your baby seen by a vet and on some panacur and baytil asap.

It's 11:00 PM where I live, so we'll have to wait until tomorrow for the vet.

Does "parasite EC" stand for something? - no results on google for "parasite EC".

Get your bun to the vets A.S.A.P., if he/she isn't eating then that's a bad sign and the longer you leave it the hard it will be to pull them back, take my advice. DO IT NOW!!!!

As everyone else has said - this is almost undoubtedly E Cuniculi. Not eating will be a secondary thing as the bun feels ill and dizzy.

Prompt action with panacur, anti-inflamitories and if necessary CAREFUL syringe feeding of water and rescue mix should result in a lessening of the tilt within days and long slow recovery.

If you have a non-rabbit savvy vet do NOT just let them say 'stroke' and put it on steroids or antibiotics. Act as though it HAS EC even if you are not sure. Do NOT wait for results of blood test.

As everyone has already said, please try to get your rabbit to the vets as soon as possible. Good luck and I'm sending vibes for your little one.

Can I just advise that whilst I would treat for EC, do not assume that is what he has to the extent of considering no other possibilities. An inner ear inmfection can also cause headtilt and loss of co-ordination and this should be treated with antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and a painkiller. These can run alongside a 6 week course of Panacur which is what's recommended for suspected active EC infections.

The vet said "give it these anti-biotics. If its a parasite to the brain there's nothing we can do. bye!"

Strangely enough, it seems to have recovered from the involuntary circle wandering and the eye movement - but it still wont go out side. It's eating again and responds when you walk near her.. but normally if you opened the door she would shoot straight outside into the garden.

She's happy in front of the heater.

Last edited:
Hi there....sounds like your vets a muppet. Even if your bunny has EC there is plenty you can do to stop it getting worse and some may prescribe steroids to help it get better. If you post your rough location in a new post someone maybe able to recomend a good one.

You can buy wormer in the meantime from here:

http://www.wormers.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...&PN=Rabbits___Furry_Pets.html#aPAN052#aPAN052

each syringe contains 18 graduations. You give 1 graduation per 2.5 kg of bunny (i.e. if you bunny weighs 1 kg you give them 1 graduation, if it weighs 2.6 kg you give it 2). you need enough for 28 days worth. You can either syringe it straight into the bunny or spread it on a spring green leaf for him to gobble up.

Hi and welcome to the forum. My main advice would be to CHANGE YOUR VET. If you let us know which region you live in, or your neaarest town I'm sure folk will be able to recommend a bunny-savvy vet.

Please change your vet NOW! Not only does this vet know nothing about EC, but they likely known nothing about other rabbit illnesses and will thus endanger your rabbit if it gets some other problem.

Back