• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur how to...

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
is there any other way of giving it instead of holding them and getting it in their mouths I'm not relishing the thought of having to hold my two everyday for 9 days as they hate hate hate being picked up and I don't want to stress them (and me) out please tell me it can go in their food or something!?!

I think that straight in the mouth is the best option im afraid....

My Kermit actually likes panacur, so maybe after a couple of times it should get easier....i used to pick him up in a towel until he got used to getting his medicine

Mine took in veggies if it was well hidden enough. Obviously you have to make sure each bunny only eats one of the prepared veggies- mine quite happily steal things from each others mouths! They seemed to quite like it but weren't convinced until they were actually eating it. Have you the paste? I think that's easier (tho a little more expensive than the liquid) to hide in things.

Once you've got a secure hold of them, you gently press both sides of their mouth to open them, then slip the nozzle in at the side, making sure it is behind their longer front teeth.

If your using the paste it's my experience that rabbit who don't like it find the lumpy texture makes it easy to spit out so try to get them to eat it naturally if they wont take it willingly.

The most effectve method is wrapping it is a spring green leaf or mushed into grated carrot or some banana.

The liquid is easily given orally by syringe.

We always find that the best method is to put it on some wholemeal bread and fold it over so they cannot see it!

Back