• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very slightly sore hocks, advice pleasey?

Hi

Our Luna ("smaller than" mini rex!) is developing a sore hock for the first time in her life. I only noticed from looking at a photos, and its not severe. Just a little pinky where the furs worn. I was wondering if there was anything we can do

Shes free range and our house is carpetted. Changing this isnt really feasible

Any ideas welcome, thanx:) Although weve kept rexes before weve never had a problem with hocks

:wave:

Carpet can actually make it worse.

Are they just pink bald atches or are they sore & red? Joey my English Spot gets pink bald patches - I put sudocrem on them & removed the squares of carpet from their room. They now have laminate & rubber matting.

Is there an area your bun prefers to spend time in? You could perhaps lay some rubber mat in that area? Watch for chewing corners though:D

When Dennis was a house rabbit his got really bad. It didn't help he would run full pelt then do skids on the carpet :roll::lol: We tried putting flucithalmic on them regularly but tbh he would lick it off or it just come off as soon as he was put back down :roll:

I have been trying to sort his out with bedding him on megazorb and hay in his little tray and vetbed in the rest of his cage. He is on grass (the best thing possible to sort out sore hocks) for most of the day but they are still big, pinky patches. Fortunately unless they go into open sores my vet said they should be ok. I would try putting cream on them to begin with. Is there any chance you could put her on grass? I am sure I read somewhere you have a yard so doubt you have any which would be a shame. Sore hocks really are a pain !

I guess im just worrying for nothing at the moment, theyre not sore as such, just little pink bald spots

Our whole flat is carpetted (which we knew could make it worse) and we dont want to confine her anyway, and changing the fact that our flat is carpetted isnt really an option:lol: Ill keep an eye on them and treat them and think about options if they actually get sore, i think, as theyre just little bits of worn fur at the moment

Thanx:wave:

I put sudocrem on them & removed the squares of carpet from their room. They now have laminate & rubber matting.

Don't mean to thread crash, but can ask what type of rubber matting you use? Bobbin has one ever so slightly pink hock that I am treating with sudocreme, but as prevention is always better than cure, I have thought about using rubber along side the fleece they have over the carpet in their cage. Where do you get yours from and what is it like? Thank you :) :wave:

I guess im just worrying for nothing at the moment, theyre not sore as such, just little pink bald spots

Our whole flat is carpetted (which we knew could make it worse) and we dont want to confine her anyway, and changing the fact that our flat is carpetted isnt really an option Ill keep an eye on them and treat them and think about options if they actually get sore, i think, as theyre just little bits of worn fur at the moment

Thanx

They sound exactly like Dennis'. My vet was not concerned and I was freaking out over them :shock::lol: I tried lots of things like confineing him to vet bed (no carpet) and grass but he still has them. They haven't got worse or better. I think some rexes are prone to them regardless of changes you make.

I have pictures somewhere...Hang on... :D

Like this? :)

hocks.jpg

Thanx Leanne:) Yes just like that, only a lot smaller. Really light pink and not sore looking...ill try and get a decent photo myself later, thatll be a challenge:lol:

Thanx lots, knew i was probs overreacting:oops: But will keep an eye on them

Oh no grass here by the way, youre right it is a shame, well be moving soon to our own place with a garden-cant wait to see them on a nice soft lawn:)

Last edited:
Thanx Leanne Yes just like that, only a bit smaller. Really light pink and not sore looking...ill try and get a decent photo myself later, thatll be a challenge

Thanx lots, knew i was probs overreacting But will keep an eye on them

It took me aaaggggeeess to get that one of Dennis'! :DGood Luck! :lol:They don't stay still long enough! :shock::lol:

If they are nice smooth unbroken skin I would not worry too much. By all means try things but if she is anything like D I have just had to except hes got them and monitor them closely!

Back