• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Again Please!!!! - Kermit

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Folks, help needed again here urgently! Haven't been on lately as he's been doing great, running round the living room, looked brilliant.

Today he was rolling an awful lot again and now he's lying breathing like hell, almost as if he's going to pack in any second, also making a grunting noise and rolling uncontrollably.

I reckon the infection might be coming back, does this sound right?

After almost being back to normal he's in a bit of a mess here again as we speak.

Any URGENT advice greatly appreciated. He looks back to the way he was. :cry:

Going to have to phone the emergency Vet. Dunno if I'm panicking but this doesn't look good at all.

sorry not much help. but couldnt read this thread without replyin.

id say take him to the vets, or phone them for advice, someone on here will know tho. i hope everything is ok.
x

I am wondering if kermit may be suffering from some kind of seizure associated to EC related neurological damage, usually caused by leisions on the brain.

I would think he needs some anti-inflammatories and possibly a sedative to relax his muscles. I would ask about some stemetil for his co-ordination as well.

It's 100% an emergency though so certainly call the vet now.

I hope he will be OK, he has been such a little fighter. :(

sorry not much help. but couldnt read this thread without replyin.

id say take him to the vets, or phone them for advice, someone on here will know tho. i hope everything is ok.
x
No worries, going to have to. He's just over either an IEI or E-Cuniculi, course finished last week, now it looks like he's back to square 1. Lying deathly still and rolling when we leave him alone.

No worries, going to have to. He's just over either an IEI or E-Cuniculi, course finished last week, now it looks like he's back to square 1. Lying deathly still and rolling when we leave him alone.

Im 99% certain Kermit has EC and not an IEI Im afraid :cry:

I am wondering if kermit may be suffering from some kind of seizure associated to EC related neurological damage, usually caused by leisions on the brain.

I would think he needs some anti-inflammatories and possibly a sedative to relax his muscles. I would ask about some stemetil for his co-ordination as well.

It's 100% an emergency though so certainly call the vet now.

I hope he will be OK, he has been such a little fighter. :(
It does look like he's having some sort of fit actually. Or had at least, he's calmed down now and is drinking water.

He was going absolutely spare 10-15mins ago so I think you could be spot on.

In your experience, if your guess is correct, would this typically leave any long-term damage?

It does look like he's having some sort of fit actually. Or had at least, he's calmed down now and is drinking water.

He was going absolutely spare 10-15mins ago so I think you could be spot on.

In your experience, if your guess is correct, would this typically leave any long-term damage?

It depends on the granuloma's and their location. The fit itself would not cause internal damage but it's secondary to the inflammation of his brain or CNS. So it could theoretically get worse if the lesions continue to form or, on the other hand, if he developed a sufficient antibody response there *may* be a chance his body could heal given time and support.

It's very hard to know if the damage would be permenant but it does sound advanced.

If he hs another 'turn' it would be advisebale to place him in a well padded box or carrier so that he cannot hurt himself.

Im 99% certain Kermit has EC and not an IEI Im afraid :cry:
Yeah, from what I've come to learn over the last 2 months I'd agree.

This is nuts, he's now looking ok! Honestly, he was going absolutely berserk a few minutes ago then was still, grinding like mad, eyes not moving, then him not moving for ages. Now he seems calm again.

Is this the norm when they have a seizure? If so do you know if this will be a regular thing or will it be the type of thing that might only happen the once?

The Vet (the good one!) said she thinks that it sounds like a seizure as you described but she reckons it's just a case of observing him to see if it happens again. She also said he probably won't remember anything about it plus he'll be really thirsty, he's drinking loads now.

Still rolling when we leave him alone though. :(

The Vet reckons we should observe him overnight.

It depends on the granuloma's and their location. The fit itself would not cause internal damage but it's secondary to the inflammation of his brain or CNS. So it could theoretically get worse if the lesions continue to form or, on the other hand, if he developed a sufficient antibody response there *may* be a chance his body could heal given time and support.

It's very hard to know if the damage would be permenant but it does sound advanced.

If he hs another 'turn' it would be advisebale to place him in a well padded box or carrier so that he cannot hurt himself.
That's what we're doing to be on the safe side. Padding out his cage to the hilt!

Yeah, from what I've come to learn over the last 2 months I'd agree.

This is nuts, he's now looking ok! Honestly, he was going absolutely berserk a few minutes ago then was still, grinding like mad, eyes not moving, then him not moving for ages. Now he seems calm again.

Is this the norm when they have a seizure? If so do you know if this will be a regular thing or will it be the type of thing that might only happen the once?

The Vet (the good one!) said she thinks that it sounds like a seizure as you described but she reckons it's just a case of observing him to see if it happens again. She also said he probably won't remember anything about it plus he'll be really thirsty, he's drinking loads now.

Still rolling when we leave him alone though. :(

The Vet reckons we should observe him overnight.

Yes it is normal after a seizure, they can be very unresponsive for a time as though they are not quite there and then they start to come round again. It is unlikely that he knos what was happening to him and his lack of memory goes some way to explaining his disorientation.

I think the key thing is to keep him as safe and comfortable as possible and to take him to see a vet in the morning. If he has another fit just see if you can spot any trigger that sets him off or any particular pattern that the seizure either follows or takes.

This happened to my Blackberry as well after he had had the classic head tilt he had a couple of strange fits. But he seems now to have grown out of it and has been a very happy healthy bun (touches wooden table hurridly) for a couple of years - albeit part bind/deaf.

I hope that what happens with kermit too....ill just have to see how he comes along.

Just feel sorry for the wee baby when he tries so hard to get better then this happens.

Thanks k+k xx

Hi guys,
Just thought id give you all an update....well i came home from work and kermit seems to be back to how he was pre-seizure.
He is eating and moving about well and he is lying sprawled out at my feet just now as im typing this.
Think ill just need to watch him over the next wee while.
Thanks again for your help....im sure ill need more again soon!!
Kirsty & Kermit x

Back