• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very worried, finding it hard to cope with!!!

Twiggy

Warren Scout
My wife left me and the house bun's just over a month ago now and i'm finding it a struggle, it's bad enough watching your wife leave and say things you never thought she'd say which hurt, anyway in our time we had some real downs with bun's becoming ill etc but we both had each other and got through the pain together, things are slightly different now as i'm on my own and my worst fears have just stepped in front of me, or should i say stamped on me as that's how it feels, anyway our two bun's don't have front teeth and often get dirty around the rear end, this was easy to sort out when we were together but now i'm facing it on my own, the other day he got bad so i attempted the impossible and rapped him in a towel, he kick out and the next thing i knew was the walls in the house started to change to a red colour, panick kicks in for me, rush to vets, he'd ripped a nail off which bled like mad, anyway i sorted that out and at the time it made me feel so ill with stress that i must admit that the thought of rehoming my bun's popped into my head even know this is against all i believe in in life.

A week went by and i started to feel alittle better in myself and was starting to come to terms with the fact that my wife had left, i'd have to sell the nice car we have and get a cheaper one, maybe selling the house and everything that comes with a Divorce.

Anyway a trip to the vets was coming up again because my female needed a VHD jab, all went ok but the vet wanted her back in to clean her ears out, so a date was fixed and it went down hill from this point on, she had her ears done Monday afternoon, i picked her up along with loads of drugs for the pain, i was expecting that that night was going to be hard and all i could think about was dinner time, would she eat?, well she had a little but it was only when stuffed under her nose, i stuck her in a cage that night so i could see just what she'd eaten and poo'd and wee'd out of the other end, i woke at 06.00 this morning and she hadn't eaten much if any, 3 poo's in poo tray and no wee, oh know here we go again!!!!

I took her to the vet straight away explained what she hadn't done, i called this afternoon and she'd still not eaten by herself, she was showing signs of intrest towards it and had been drinking which i guess is one good thing, sadley no poos though, i have to call in the morning to find out how she's doing and i'm dreading that call.

I don't know why i'm telling you all this but then i guess because i've no one else to tell, i feel sick with what's gone on and i'm finding it so hard to cope with, i know i have to for the sake of my bun's though.

Thanks for reading my dribble. P.S. Any single females in Berkshire want a date!! Male, age 34, slim, hopefully two House Bun's, if she pulls through, mad on Rabbits (rare in the male world!!), kind, caring, love the countryside and wildlife and enjoys the slow life!!. Only joking but the offers there.:oops:

My wife left me and the house bun's just over a month ago now and i'm finding it a struggle, it's bad enough watching your wife leave and say things you never thought she'd say which hurt, anyway in our time we had some real downs with bun's becoming ill etc but we both had each other and got through the pain together, things are slightly different now as i'm on my own and my worst fears have just stepped in front of me, or should i say stamped on me as that's how it feels, anyway our two bun's don't have front teeth and often get dirty around the rear end, this was easy to sort out when we were together but now i'm facing it on my own, the other day he got bad so i attempted the impossible and rapped him in a towel, he kick out and the next thing i knew was the walls in the house started to change to a red colour, panick kicks in for me, rush to vets, he'd ripped a nail off which bled like mad, anyway i sorted that out and at the time it made me feel so ill with stress that i must admit that the thought of rehoming my bun's popped into my head even know this is against all i believe in in life.

A week went by and i started to feel alittle better in myself and was starting to come to terms with the fact that my wife had left, i'd have to sell the nice car we have and get a cheaper one, maybe selling the house and everything that comes with a Divorce.

Anyway a trip to the vets was coming up again because my female needed a VHD jab, all went ok but the vet wanted her back in to clean her ears out, so a date was fixed and it went down hill from this point on, she had her ears done Monday afternoon, i picked her up along with loads of drugs for the pain, i was expecting that that night was going to be hard and all i could think about was dinner time, would she eat?, well she had a little but it was only when stuffed under her nose, i stuck her in a cage that night so i could see just what she'd eaten and poo'd and wee'd out of the other end, i woke at 06.00 this morning and she hadn't eaten much if any, 3 poo's in poo tray and no wee, oh know here we go again!!!!

I took her to the vet straight away explained what she hadn't done, i called this afternoon and she'd still not eaten by herself, she was showing signs of intrest towards it and had been drinking which i guess is one good thing, sadley no poos though, i have to call in the morning to find out how she's doing and i'm dreading that call.

I don't know why i'm telling you all this but then i guess because i've no one else to tell, i feel sick with what's gone on and i'm finding it so hard to cope with, i know i have to for the sake of my bun's though.

Thanks for reading my dribble. P.S. Any single females in Berkshire want a date!! Male, age 34, slim, hopefully two House Bun's, if she pulls through, mad on Rabbits (rare in the male world!!), kind, caring, love the countryside and wildlife and enjoys the slow life!!. Only joking but the offers there.:oops:

So sorry you are having such a :censored: time :cry:
I hope you hear good news from the Vet in the morning.
Try to stay as strong as you can, your Buns do need you.
We are all here to offer whatever help and support we can.

Janex

I'm sorry you are finding things so difficult at the moment. I know what it's like, 2 years ago I was left alone with 16 bunnies and thought I would loose my home and pets. I am now happily married with 24 bunnies so please don't give up. There is a future out there for you.

I hope your bunny will be ok, she is in the best place.

Good luck with everything

Thinking of you and Im sorry you are going through such a :censored: time. Sending buckets of vibes to your poorly bun :)

Im so sorry your having such rough time. We are here to help if you need to talk xx Hope your bun pulls through ok xxx

i really feel for you. have you seen ur dr, and had a chat about how your feeling?. im not goin through the same stresses as you, but things of late have got on top of me. would be worth a chat to the dr.
ur in my thoughts.
x

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. I hope that your bunny pulls through for you and it is good news tomorrow.

:lol: I imagine you'll be inundated with pm's from single RU'ers!

Sorry your being a bit over whelmed at the moment, rabbits do have great timing don't they!

Can I ask what diet you're feeding? It might be some of the issues are related to that and a few changes may help.

I can sympathise on the toe nails. It's amazing how much they bleed :shock: And the buns do insist on flicking their feet and spraying it everywhere!

Tam

Sorry to hear you're having such a crappy time. I know it's not much of a consolation but I believe hard times always make you a stronger person. Just keep your chin up, things will get better soon. Hope your bunny gets better and hope everything works out for you :) xx

I am so sorry to hear your news.

We have a female friend staying with us at the moment because she is facing the same situation in her family life as you - divorce. So I kind of understand some of what you must be feeling. Although I am hearing about it from a female's perspective.

Whereabouts in Berkshire are you?

Just wondered if you were close enough for us to be able to help you with your bunnies/bunny worries.

We live between Bracknell and the M3 J3 if you ever need anything.

Helen (spoken for:lol:) and bunny family

I know everyone says it but things do get easier though you dont beleive it at the time.

My fiance walked out on me leaving me with a baby and although things are hard I do believe things happen for a reason and you come out a better person at the end of it.

Keep smiling.
x

You know for day's i've been meaning to put something on this site, i kept putting it off but all your kind words have made me happy that i have now, it's hard for me as i'm male and i love animals to bits and how many other men love rabbits, not many, so how could i ever talk to them about how i feel. I'm not giving them so much Veg now and this seems to cut down on the mucky bums, i just feel bad when i'm being begged for some more food but i know what i will be facing in morning so have to be hard on them, we use to feed them every night at 21.00 but this will not happen anymore as i work shifts and sometimes don't get in till 2 in the morning, i've now got round this by feeding them at around mid night, mind you i'm still off sick at the mo.

The thing i hate about all of this is that i feel bit by bit all the hard work i've done and things i love and care about are being taken away from me, her (wife), house, car, and now one of the rabbits, i guess it'll be the other one next week, i just can't stand the thought of losing them because they're all that's keeping me going, the one thing the keeps popping up in my head is when they die how will i cope with the pain, i know there's lots of people on this site that are single and get by on there own but i'm use to having help.

Someone asked where i lived, well i'm about 20mins out of Reading on the West side.

I must thank you for all your kind words.

Sorry to hear your ggoing through this , it does get better with time just stick in there i thought my life hadd ended 10 yrs ago when my husband walked out on me but im still here !!!
he did'nt like rabbits or cats for that matter and i had 25 rabbits 4 cats 2 dogs and about 5 horses or was it 6 :oops: oh yes and 2 kids so you can imagine trying to cope with all them and all the feelings your going through as well but its the animals that kept me going so stick with it and hope the litttle one pulls through ;)

You know for day's i've been meaning to put something on this site, i kept putting it off but all your kind words have made me happy that i have now, it's hard for me as i'm male and i love animals to bits and how many other men love rabbits, not many, so how could i ever talk to them about how i feel. I'm not giving them so much Veg now and this seems to cut down on the mucky bums, i just feel bad when i'm being begged for some more food but i know what i will be facing in morning so have to be hard on them, we use to feed them every night at 21.00 but this will not happen anymore as i work shifts and sometimes don't get in till 2 in the morning, i've now got round this by feeding them at around mid night, mind you i'm still off sick at the mo.

The thing i hate about all of this is that i feel bit by bit all the hard work i've done and things i love and care about are being taken away from me, her (wife), house, car, and now one of the rabbits, i guess it'll be the other one next week, i just can't stand the thought of losing them because they're all that's keeping me going, the one thing the keeps popping up in my head is when they die how will i cope with the pain, i know there's lots of people on this site that are single and get by on there own but i'm use to having help.

Someone asked where i lived, well i'm about 20mins out of Reading on the West side.

I must thank you for all your kind words.

this is a brill website with loads of good people, who care.
ive been off for 2 weeks now, and at first i couldnt even go into my buns (cant describe it.... thought i was goin to find them hurt or unwell). but sitting with them has been good ''bunny therapy''.

are they ur buns or hers?.

I know, i've noticed our boy bun (i don't have kids, one blessing i guess as i'd be in even bigger trouble) seems to be a bit lost tonight, he keeps trying to come up the stairs with me and seems to be following me around more, i guess us boys have got to stick together now, lets just hope she's (female bun) back tomorrow, only leaves me stuck for a date them.:love:

I'm glad everyone's kind words are helping. I went through a very stressful period about 18 months ago when I thought I'd lose my house. It's the only time I've minded being single because I could have done with sharing the burden with someone. The only thing that kept me going at that time was my bunnies. Sadly this year as the rest of my life picked up I lost one of my bunnies and then 10 weeks later another (from a trio). If that had happened 18 months ago I really don't know how I'd have coped. I'm not sure why I'm coping now, because Scrappy was my whole world. Only 9 weeks on from losing Scrappy I've 'rescued' another bunny (it makes me feel needed). It's amazing what you adjust to when you've had chance to get used to it. Things will seem brighter. I hope that's soon.

The people on RU will look after you, you can be sure of that.

I feed my buns about midnight too - they are most awake then anyway :lol: If they are begging for food try keeping back some of their pellet ration and using that for treats ;)

Which pellet brand are you using, some rabbits tend to not get on so well with excel and get sticky bums.

I'm sure he is missing his friend just like you so extra cuddles for him ;)

dont rush in to dating you will need time to recover from this ordeal take time out for yourself and get yourself together emotionaly :D

this is a brill website with loads of good people, who care.
ive been off for 2 weeks now, and at first i couldnt even go into my buns (cant describe it.... thought i was goin to find them hurt or unwell). but sitting with them has been good ''bunny therapy''.

are they ur buns or hers?.

Ours, well i guess all mine now, Fudge is coming up to 6 years old now, then we got Button who passed away that was his first love, then his second was woody, she passed away, and now his latest girlfriend is Maisie, she was one of the bun's from the Oxford Rescue.

Back