• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too much Caeoctrophs!

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Hi folks,

Just looking for a bit advice, again!

My bunnies have been on Science selective pellets for about 7 -8 months now. I changed as I found Sammy was leaving a lot of caecotrophs about his hutch. Once I changed too SS he seemed a lot better but the past 6 weeks he's been making mess again.
I'm always amazed as he is a very fluffly white rabbit but never gets himself into a mess.

Here's his diet - he gets this morning and night
40g of pellets,
3 large coin sizes of carrot, 3/4 leaf of spring green,
an inch of celery stick or a few spinach leaves.
Unlimited hay

Should I cut down on something?

Perhaps a bit too much veg? Not sure how much 40g of pellets are but my two buns get a teaspoon of pellets a day only.

One of my buns cannot tolerate veg or grass so only has the teaspoon of pellets and then hay is her only other food.

I know most people say not to give carrot every day as too sugary so maybe cut that out first?

Hi folks,

Just looking for a bit advice, again!

My bunnies have been on Science selective pellets for about 7 -8 months now. I changed as I found Sammy was leaving a lot of caecotrophs about his hutch. Once I changed too SS he seemed a lot better but the past 6 weeks he's been making mess again.
I'm always amazed as he is a very fluffly white rabbit but never gets himself into a mess.

Here's his diet - he gets this morning and night
40g of pellets,
3 large coin sizes of carrot, 3/4 leaf of spring green,
an inch of celery stick or a few spinach leaves.
Unlimited hay

Should I cut down on something?

I think I would probably cut down feeding pellets and veg to once a day. My rabbits eat PAH rabbit nuggets and only have a handfull each once a day, thay also have various veg once a day and hay is unlimited. My lot have nice big golden boulder poo:roll::lol:!!

hi ..i would guess too much greens...we have a neutered male 1 yo that has "bottom issues" like your bun if he has too much greens.
i wouldnt give your bun any veg for a day or two until it clears up..
this is all you need to do.if it happens alot still, i would cut down on the veg and give maybe every other day or every third day.
each bun is different..sometimes its a particular food they have trouble digesting..
ours have greens every night ,but one day off a week when they will have shredded wheats instead .

Back