• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet costs - does anyone else get the 'just buy a new one' comment??

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
:censored:

I was chatting to a few people at work earlier about Flora (piggy) and how she had to have emergency surgery this weekend for pyometra. I've now lost count of the number of people who have immediately asked 'how much did that cost you?' followed straightaway by... 'won't it have just been cheaper to buy a new one??!', or, 'you could buy ten new guinea pigs for that!'

Usually I just ignore the gentle teasing I get about being 'the mad rabbit woman' but this has made me really cross. Can you imagine how people would react if I had been talking about a dog or a cat that had been taken ill and then finished with 'oh, anyway, it was too expensive to treat it, I just had it put down and brought a new one'?? :roll:

Arghhh!!! People! There, I feel better now :lol:

When Meggie was attacked I was talking to someone I *thought* knew me very well, I had told her what had happened then she asked how much it would have cost so I told her how much it cost and she then said something like "You actually paid that?! Why didn't you just have her put down and get a new one?"
I had to leave the conversation very quickly.

So annoyed me as I thought she realised what my pets mean to me.

Some people will never understand.

I had a customer point out that the £300 I spent fixing Scout's leg would have brought 19 new rabbits and since I had only had her a few weeks would it really be that upseeting to have her PTS :evil::evil:

I went for a meeting with my bank manager they were trying show me how i could save more money amonth by cutting down on what i pay out. The first thing he brought up was why i was paying £10 a month for insurance for a rabbit when they only cost £10 in the first place. I thought it was very rude how dare he!

I think Rabbits are far too cheap in the petshops! People can just buy them on impulse which is what normally happensa nd they get bored and give them away!

Any animal should be taken seriously when buying and i would not think twice if one of my rabbits had to have surgery or expensive medication they are part of my family!

My new Lop cost me £45 and everyone keeps saying how i could have picked one up cheaper but how can you put a value on a living creature!

That is disgusting!
Some people are a disgrace.
I would have started raising my voice and became emotionally violent at them!!

Imagine the look on their faces if they said their mum was ill and needed extensive treatment that could only be done for a price, in private hospital and you stated she just "put her mother to sleep" and adopt a new one!

Yes, I've had the 'It'd be cheaper to buy a new one' comment too.

I think that the problem is that if you've never really loved a pet, just 'owned' one, then you can't really understand why people are willing to spend so much. I've spent hundreds, probably thousands, on the bunnies since I've had them and I'm sure my bank balance would be a lot healthier if I didn't have them. However, I can't imagine life without them and you wouldn't deny a person medical treatment if the needed it, so why would should you deny a pet?

I think people who don't understand must have very sad lives.

Vet costs in my area are almost always more expensive than the rabbit themselves.... at least the times I've gone, and that was for neutering and once for sore paws. Treating Sasuke for the paws cost me 5 times as much as Sasuke himself cost.
Even putting my hamster to sleep cost almost as much if not more than it did to buy her in the first place.

After I had asked about a 'beware of the rabbit' sign once for one of my little devils, I overheard the man remark to the next customer 'if i was her I'd shoot it' :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

I was SO upset and shaken that I couldn't even go back and shout at him. But I shall in my future life take EVERY opportunity to tell people never ever to buy things from Alitags (a horticutural company that also sells those cute wooden signs and goes to Chelsea each year)..

i've only every had this said to me once, but it was somebody i had no time for anyway, it was what i expected from her, and it was about 10 years ago.

nobody ever says this to me now (they wouldn't dare), even when they hear how much i spend on animal food and vet bills a month. they do often ask, why do i have so many animals though, and can't understand that part of it.
it quite nice because more and more people seem to be taking small animals into the vet for treatment or to be PTS, when the time has come. i'm sure it is becoming more common and that can only be a good thing.

If someone said that to me I would fly off it... "rabbit pie" comments I can just about handle, but this drives me mad. It's a pet, it has a personality of its own that I know and love, why would I "just buy a new one", what a ludicrous thing for anyone to say! :evil:

Aww, it really infuriates me when people say the most ridiculous things :evil: I'm getting it loads atm because of Rhia keep having tests. One was 'Is it really worth it if she'll probably di...not get better anyway?' - Who says she wont get better??!! Also when I was at work the other day she was round & said later 'I saw it and thought, is it dead?' - Rhia was infact, sleeping :roll: Be thankful that Flora has such a caring Mum that will fight her corner :) X

Yep, Ive had it to. Was asked how much a new rabbit costs and why didnt I just buy a new one when Milo got poorly on a bank holiday and cost me a fair bit (typical male for not waiting a day :lol:) It doesnt surprise me to be honest and dp was really good about it knowing hes more than "just a rabbit" to me so thats all that matters as far as i concerned. Some people have no heart.

I have this problem all the time with my little mouse.He cost £4 to buy & to date, has cost me around £120 in vet bills, i've lost count of the amount of people who've said 'can't you just get a new one?' like we're talking about a new tshirt or something instead of a living,breathing creature.It makes me sick.

The first thing he brought up was why i was paying £10 a month for insurance for a rabbit when they only cost £10 in the first place. I thought it was very rude how dare he!

And it was almost certainly £10 more than most people pay for their children. I mean, most people get drunk, bonk and along comes the kiddie-wink gratis 9 months later.

we have paid out £5000 on one bun that we had, due to recurrent abscesses.
we have had plenty of these comments..
my husband said to one person that made such a comment "if your child broke his leg and you had to pay for medical care would you put him down?"
to which she said "thats different" ...not to me its not!:censored:

Yep I was actually told to hit Zeke over the head at the weekend by some :censored: idiot :? :( And he said 'its a rat, you need your head tested' :shock: I wasnt actually talking to him in the first place so I just completely ignored the comment :roll: x

people have no respect! they could at least keep their comments to themselves. what really disgusts me is that ppl think they can just 'throw away' their pets so to speak. society beggars belief sometimes:(

I was chatting to a few people at work earlier about Flora (piggy) and how she had to have emergency surgery this weekend for pyometra. I've now lost count of the number of people who have immediately asked 'how much did that cost you?' followed straightaway by... 'won't it have just been cheaper to buy a new one??!', or, 'you could buy ten new guinea pigs for that!'

Usually I just ignore the gentle teasing I get about being 'the mad rabbit woman' but this has made me really cross. Can you imagine how people would react if I had been talking about a dog or a cat that had been taken ill and then finished with 'oh, anyway, it was too expensive to treat it, I just had it put down and brought a new one'?? :roll:

Arghhh!!! People! There, I feel better now :lol:

I get it all the time. I just make sure I am realy condescending about their kids afterwards:D:D:D

I get it all the time too, especially from my brother. He's always going on about having them to eat and just generally being a pain. Last time I said - I tell you what we can have my rabbit for dinner provided you kill your son & have him for lunch! He wasn't best pleased!!!!

Back