• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collapsible Square Run, for front of hutch.

Hi. I'm new here :wave:

I have Thistle Hall hutch, on our patio. Lottie my rabbit has a run in the garden which she gets to go out in for a few hours every day (plus coming indoors) but i really want to get something to put ont he front of the hutch. We have limited space, so it would need to be collapsible for the end of the day. I've seen the Fennel Fold run from Pets@Home but it is costly and from what i have read doesn't permenantly fix onto the hutch.

I've seen alot of wire ones, the little hexagonal ones, but the problem i have with them is that there is no way to attach them to the bottom floor of the hutch.

Does anyone have any ideas? I doubt i will be able to buy what i want, can anyone thing of something i can make to attach on the front, can be taken off at night and folded away. Also, needs to be a bit of an odd shape!

Here is a picture of our patio. It would be fine being open top run because i can see from my desk down onto the patio so can supervise.

misc.jpg

Fran :rabbit2:

i did something similar for my buns, i got a 6 x 4 off ebay, cut a whole in one of the sides, and made a folding door thing( or rahter my dad did!) and used hooks to attatch it to the hutch..fully collapsable and it folds away - this is the seller i used

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/albanypets135/

Hope this helps,

I'm not going to claim to know a lot about such things, but we bought the Fennel Fold run yesterday, so that we could put our buns on the grass (too many escape routes otherwise)

Anyway, I can confirm that it does come with the screws needed to attach to most hutches, if that's the way you want to go. I didn't think any of the other ones from PAH were up to much though.

However, it's not easily collapsible, you have to unscrew it, and whilst that only takes 10 mins, it depends on how often you want to put it up/down.

P5140169.jpg

not collapsible i know but this is a Thistle hall with fennel fold run attached, just screwed on using two brackets....not the biggest run ever but it works for now.

If you don't require a top to your run is there any way you could make the patio their run? Looking at your pic it seems quite enclosed. If you put a gate on the steps and moved any potted plants that aren't bunny safe they would have lots of room to charge about while supervised from your window :).

Thanks, i will check that seller out.

I'd want to be putting the run down every night and we only have a tiny shed so it wouldn't work really to be screwed on.

As for the patio idea, i have thought about this, but we have a gate which has a 6 inch gap on the bottom, and until we can afford a new gate thats not really going to work. Also we have just planted those plants about 2 days ago so i would hate to get rid of them (there are geraniums and fox glove so they aren't bunny friendly).

I also thought about NIC cubes, alot of my across-the-pond bunny friends make their cages from these. I thought that these would be easy to collapse and because each individual square can be attach seperatley then i can make it into any shape i like, so i can fill the entire space up as i need. Does anyone have any experience with these?

How about one of the folding puppy pens. You could put a couple of eyelets on each side of the hutch and then cable tie the run to it. You'd only need to undo the right side at night/to open - you could then fold it back against the fence/wall on the left of the hutch when it's not in use.

I've been looking at those pens. Do they seperate (each panel) so i can attach it to either side? I'm still thinking NIC grids, gotta wait until payday before i can afford anything anyway!

yes, comes as 8 separate panels, they are attached with rod things, but i think some people use garden/cable ties to attach them together.

I've been looking at those pens. Do they seperate (each panel) so i can attach it to either side? I'm still thinking NIC grids, gotta wait until payday before i can afford anything anyway!

The one I have does, you can fiddle around with it. We've jammed the poles inbetween our bits of decking.

This is our current setup;
CIMG0043.jpg

Hope that gives you an idea!

Last edited:
Back