• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help!!!! what should i do?????

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
hi everyone..
i havent been on here for a while ,you know how it is?!
i would like any advice that you can give me......
we have a 7 yo german lop called pooh as she looks like a teddy bear?!
recently she was diagnosed with mucoid enteritis (jelly stuff coming out of her bum!) and has kidney failure.
did what the vet said "no greens or mix only hay" and seemed to get over that , now its back but worse.shes losing weight hand over fist is all skin and can feel every bone in her body.
have tried tempting her with everything but wont eat ,apart from a crumb or so every few hours ,literally.her fur is falling out due to mites but cant give her anything for that at the mo , is constantly tired.
her teeth are fine as they were checked a couple of weeks ago.
cant go to the vet as it stresses her so much it makes her worse.
ive given her metacam for any pain she might have and metaclopramide to keep her tum going (have checked tum feels fine ,no hardness or gas)
and hopefully make her want to eat.she hasnt poo d since sunday or wee d today.
IS THIS THE START OF THE END? if so let me know as i dont want her to suffer any more
any help will be very gratefully received.....

kellie

She really needs the vet. You say it stresses her so perhaps you could phone the surgery and ask them for advice. Being the same vets that have treated her previously they should have a good idea how to go forward. Without probably vet intervention sadly her future sounds very limited.

Sorry

is she on antibiotics, i thought it could be caused by an infection as well as stress. i would call the vet and check.
if she has kidney failure and isn't eating i would be wary of giving metacam, it can cause more problems for animals with these problems. i would certainly call the vet, there may be a better painkiller they can use, or they may give her something like zantac to line her stomach.
if your worried about taking her to the vet, you could always call them out, it will cost a bit, but at least she has been seen. if you do this explain fully what the problem is so they can bring what they think they will need.

Can you not have a home visit if she gets too stressed? Although to be honest, you have to outweigh the risks - Its unlikely shes going to get better without a vet :(

thanks for all the replies...
i took her to the vet and he has put her on fibreplex , baytril and vitamin b injections.
he said that he was sure that we could turn the enteritis around and she would pick up alot by tomorrow. we have another appointment for 4pm tomorrow ...shes eating a tiny bit more...fingers crossed..
kellie

thanks again everyone...
still no poo s ....she has been back to the vet again today..she had a painkiller injection , baytril injection and is looking a tiny bit better:)
have been feeding her parsley and digestive biccies which she is picking at..
doesnt want anything else:roll: her body temperature has gone back up a bit which is promising as yesterday she was borderline hypothermic:cry:
will be a long few days, but the vet reckons we will get there..
i know shes 7 yo but i cant imagine her not being here..
yesterday i thought the worst ,that the vet would say pts.:cry:
glad shes a fighter!!:lol:

Thinking of you, i do hope you get some good news, i know just how you are feeling as my buns at the vet not eating or pooing, it such a stressful time, hang in there.

Back