• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis

Nic Nou 26

Warren Scout
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me. My bunny died on Sunday. He was perfectly normal and happy on Saturday Morning. Saturday night he wouldnt come out of his toilet area and was very quiet and didnt want anythng to eat. Got up Sunday morning and checked him and he was still very quiet. Also noticed that he hadnt been to the toilet. I phoned the vet and took him over Sunday about 3. THe vet said it was Bowel Stasis and to give him pinapple juice by a syringe. He also gave him an injection. I went to give him his pineapple juice at 8 o clock Sunday night and he died in my arms.

Im so gutted i miss him so much. What causes it, i keep wondering if there was anything i could do but all the things thought to cause it on a website i found dont appear to be something the affected my boy. I got him when he was advertised in the local paper as his previous owner had lost interest in him.

Im thinking of getting another bunny and want to make sure i do everything possible to try and prevent this happening again.

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me. My bunny died on Sunday. He was perfectly normal and happy on Saturday Morning. Saturday night he wouldnt come out of his toilet area and was very quiet and didnt want anythng to eat. Got up Sunday morning and checked him and he was still very quiet. Also noticed that he hadnt been to the toilet. I phoned the vet and took him over Sunday about 3. THe vet said it was Bowel Stasis and to give him pinapple juice by a syringe. He also gave him an injection. I went to give him his pineapple juice at 7 o clock Sunday night and he died in my arms.

Im so gutted i miss him so much. What causes it, i keep wondering if there was anything i could do but all the things thought to cause it on a website i found dont appear to be something the affected my boy. I got him when he was advertised in the local paper as his previous owner had lost interest in him.

Im thinking of getting another bunny and want to make sure i do everything possible to try and prevent this happening again.

Many Thanks

I am very sorry you lost your Bunny :(
Here is some info' on GI Stasis

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Janex

make sure you give your rabbits lots of fibre , make sure there always eating because a rabbit only has to stop eating for half a day and statis happens and AVpro plus and entracare are excellent , i'm sorry your rabbit died i don't know why they bother giving the injection, they did that to a rabbit of ours and she died pretty much instantly the injection alone can kill them.

Sorry to hear your sad news :cry:
Sometimes stasis can be a symptom of something else, like teeth problems, so making sure they have good hay is a good idea because it wears down their teeth.
We lost our first rabbit Honey from stasis, so I know how you're feeling :(

Its intersting that you should say that. As when itook him to the vets he was ok poorly but he certainly didnt look like he would only be with us for a few more hours where as coming home he actually looked worse and was slumped over in the box.

It actually scares me that he went from a perfectly healthy (looking ) rabbit to passing away within 24 hours.

i don't know why they bother giving the injection, they did that to a rabbit of ours and she died pretty much instantly the injection alone can kill them.

My rabbit was suffering from stasis, and I believe the injection, which was a gut stimulant & painkiller worked wonders on him.

Nic Nou 26, I'm really sorry to hear about your bunny xxxx

I am very sorry that you have lost your rabbit due to gut stasis.

The injection you are talking about is a medication called Maxalon / Metachlopramide it is a very effective gut stimulant and saves many rabbits lives who have gut stasis provided they are taken to the vet early enough. Unfortunately bloat and gut stasis are far more common than many people realise.

Rabbits develope gut stasis for many reasons including dental problems, gas developing in stomach following the fermentation of something they have eaten and many other reasons. Preventative treatment including encouraging rabbits to have a high fibre diet with a diet 80 - 90% of which is hay is imperative is a key factor to keeping rabbits healthy. Early detection of gut problems including observign signs of small poo's is also essential where vetinary treatment is sought if there are any indications of a reduction in the size of their excreta. The treatment of choise here would be a gut stimulant, fluids and an increase in fibre content in the diet.

Thank you all So much for your advice and kind words.

I will take all on board and be far more vigilent especially as he literally went within 24hrs of becoming ill. He had been eating and going to the toliet right up until the then.

I jus miss him xx

Thank you all So much for your advice and kind words.

I will take all on board and be far more vigilent especially as he literally went within 24hrs of becoming ill. He had been eating and going to the toliet right up until the then.

I jus miss him xx

Rabbits being prey animals do their best to hide any illness until they are very ill. Sometimes there are just very subtle signs which if acted upon can turn around an animal very quickly. It is certainly not uncommon for rabbit owners to not notice any problem until they have a very sick bun. Don't blame yourself.

The only advise I can give is to get to know what is normal for your bun, so you can detect the abnormal. Go by your gut instinct rather than waiting for something to be obviously wrong before you seek medical assistance. Also optimise everything you can possibly do for your bun, correct weight, minimal high fibre pellets with a lump of hay bigger than the size of your bun or even bigger.

My girl is going through something like this, she's at the vets now as we speak, i feel for you and it's now making me worry even more, thinking of you.

Thanks Twiggy, im sure she will be fine. Im sending lots of happy thoughts your's and buns way!!! :):)

She is in the best place and the fact she is still fighting has got to be a good thing, Stu went really quickly bless him xx

Back